* Auto Fill Mode Not Working In Gnus
@ 2008-10-11  5:21 David Spain
From: David Spain @ 2008-10-11  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I am using Gnus v5.11 and Emacs version 22.1.1

When composing an article in Gnus (as I am now) or a reply to an article and I
have auto-fill mode enabled ('Fill' shows up in Minor-Mode portion of status
line) it seems to be ignored. I don't get automatic line feeds inserted when I
run past the last fill column. And if I want my text filled I have to select
the text with mark and then manually run 'fill-region'.

Is this a known artifact of the version of Emacs/Gnus I am using?  Is there a
workaround I can employ short of updating to newer versions?

Dave

* Re: Auto Fill Mode Not Working In Gnus
@ 2008-10-12  4:35 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-10-12  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

David Spain <nospam@127.0.0.1> writes:

> When composing an article in Gnus (as I am now) or a reply to an article and I
> have auto-fill mode enabled ('Fill' shows up in Minor-Mode portion of status
> line) it seems to be ignored. I don't get automatic line feeds inserted when I
> run past the last fill column. And if I want my text filled I have to select
> the text with mark and then manually run 'fill-region'.

Try toggling on & off auto fill mode manually: M-x auto-fill-mode.  Does
it make any difference?

Also, try to limit your .emacs to contain only auto-fill mode configs,
so as to make sure it's not affected by some non-standard elisp
extensions.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org