* less key hits
@ 2006-12-05 21:40 Gary Wessle
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Gary Wessle @ 2006-12-05 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

ofter I find that I have to write the same string over many times
while programming  in c++ mode.
is it common practice to hot key the text so that by hitting the hot
key it enters the text in the buffer? or how most of you do it?

example:
often I write
#include <string>
using std::string;

which takes few key strokes even with Alt-/ completion
helping. instead I want to just hit say "Alt-s" s for string and the
pointer moves to the top of the buffer, enters the 2 lines for me.

any idea how this is done?

thanks

* Re: less key hits
@ 2006-12-05 21:56 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found] ` <mailman.1948.1166228107.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2006-12-05 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

Hi Gary,

> ofter I find that I have to write the same string over many times
> while programming in c++ mode.
> is it common practice to hot key the text so that by hitting the hot
> key it enters the text in the buffer? or how most of you do it?

I would define a keyboard macro.

See

,----[ (info "(emacs)Keyboard Macros") ]
|    A "keyboard macro" is a command defined by an Emacs user to stand
| for another sequence of keys.  For example, if you discover that you
| are about to type `C-n M-d C-d' forty times, you can speed your work
| by defining a keyboard macro to do `C-n M-d C-d', and then executing
| it 39 more times.
`----

If you need this macro over and over you can even save it.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!

* Re: less key hits
@ 2006-12-16  0:06 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <mailman.1948.1166228107.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2006-12-16  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:

> ofter I find that I have to write the same string over many times
> while programming  in c++ mode.

I think that abbrevs are an underused feature of Emacs.  Try it, maybe
you will like it.

Kai

* Kai is back [Was: less key hits]
       [not found] ` <mailman.1948.1166228107.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2006-12-16 17:22   ` martin
From: martin @ 2006-12-16 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

  > Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 01:06:31 +0100
  >
  > Gary Wessle <phddas@yahoo.com> writes:
  >
  >> ofter I find that I have to write the same string over many times
  >> while programming  in c++ mode.
  >
  > I think that abbrevs are an underused feature of Emacs.  Try it, maybe
  > you will like it.
  >
  > Kai

Hi,

welcome back.