* How do I fetch from
@ 2006-12-04 20:00 Andrew Markebo
From: Andrew Markebo @ 2006-12-04 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I want read read pop (by mail-sources), and squeze into to nnimap.

What have i missed? Is there to be done?

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '( (nnimap "master"
		(nnimap-address "localhost"))))

(setq mail-sources
      '(
	(pop :server "e" :user "9" :password "b")))

I can't get it running, what have I forgotten?

        /Andrew Markebo

--
   Democracy is two hungry wolves and one sheep discussing what's for
dinner. Liberty is a well-armed sheep willing to contest the decision.

* Re: How do I fetch from
@ 2006-12-04 20:40 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2006-12-04 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Markebo <andrew.markebo@comhem.se> writes:

> I want read read pop (by mail-sources), and squeze into to nnimap.

Sorry, what do you mean by "squeeze"?  Do you have, separately, a POP
and an IMAP server, and you want to pull things off the POP server and
have Gnus push them to the IMAP server?  I don't think there's easy
"out-of-the-box" support for that.  In particular, this config:

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '( (nnimap "master"
> 		(nnimap-address "localhost"))))
>
> (setq mail-sources
>       '(
> 	(pop :server "e" :user "9" :password "b")))

doesn't do what you want because nnimap isn't an nnmail backend, where
things like nnfolder, nnmh, nnml, etc. that pull mail off some server
and store them locally are.

The "typical" setup that Gnus expects is that (a) your ISP offers POP
mail service and you want to store the articles locally, probably in
nnml (pop mail-source); (b) your ISP offers IMAP mail service but you
want to pull articles off it just like the POP case (imap
mail-source); or (c) your ISP offers IMAP mail service and you want to
read mail "on the server" (nnimap select-method).  You could almost
certainly write your own Lisp to pull mail off the POP server and push
it on to the IMAP server; I'd hack something together most likely
using (nnimap-stream shell) in your select-method specifier, see
(gnus)IMAP.

Your setup looks particularly strange, though, because you're setting
(nnimap-address "localhost").  Why would you use IMAP in this case,
over something like nnml, if the actual mail is going to be stored
locally either way?

  --dzm

* Re: How do I fetch from
@ 2006-12-16 22:34 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2006-12-16 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Markebo <andrew.markebo@comhem.se> writes:

> I want read read pop (by mail-sources), and squeze into to nnimap.

Perhaps it is easiest to use fetchmail to do that.

Kai

* Re: How do I fetch from
@ 2006-12-16 22:36   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2006-12-16 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:

> Your setup looks particularly strange, though, because you're setting
> (nnimap-address "localhost").  Why would you use IMAP in this case,
> over something like nnml, if the actual mail is going to be stored
> locally either way?

One can use several clients to read the mail.  This is useful, for
instance, when you get a lot of badly formatted messages that are HTML
and where font and color and suchlike have semantic relevance.

One can use IMAP clients from different hosts to read the mail.  Just
because it happens to be localhost here doesn't mean it's localhost on
all machines.

Kai