* A couple of questions...
@ 2008-10-27 20:44 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-27 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I'm still learning gnus and still have a couple of basic questions:

  - How can I mark a whole thread as expirable. I tried to process
    mark the whole thread and press 'E' but...

    BTW, 'E' is not really convenient because after marking an article
    it jumps to the next thread. Is it possible to change that so it
    jumps to the next subthread if any ?

  - How can I guess 'gnus-cite-[0-9]' meanings, that is when these
    variables are actually used.

  - When I read an article (in the article buffer), I'd like long
    lines that don't fit in one line to be split into several
    lines. Currently the end of these lines are not displayed.

Thanks

Francis

* Re: A couple of questions...
@ 2008-10-27 23:19 ` Eric Böse-Wolf
From: Eric Böse-Wolf @ 2008-10-27 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>   - When I read an article (in the article buffer), I'd like long
>     lines that don't fit in one line to be split into several
>     lines. Currently the end of these lines are not displayed.

This one I know: W w

mfg

eric

* Re: A couple of questions...
@ 2008-10-28  1:56 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-10-28  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:44:20 +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm still learning gnus and still have a couple of basic questions:
>
>   - How can I mark a whole thread as expirable. I tried to process
>     mark the whole thread and press 'E' but...

Hi Francis,

I often use `C-k' to kill the entire thread, but there are other ways
to mark and expire parts of a thread, or even the entire thread.

If you want to expire only the articles marked with the process mark,
you can use the `M-&' prefix.  Mark the articles first and then type
`M-& E' to expire all the process-marked articles.

A very useful key binding is also `T-#' which marks all the articles
of the current sub-thread with the process mark.  When combined with
the `M-& E' key binding, it provides a powerful command to expire only
parts of a large thread: `T-# M-& E'.

>     BTW, 'E' is not really convenient because after marking an article
>     it jumps to the next thread. Is it possible to change that so it
>     jumps to the next subthread if any ?

I'm not sure I understand what a sub-thread is in this context, so I'll
leave this one for someone with more Gnus and UI experience than me.

>   - How can I guess 'gnus-cite-[0-9]' meanings, that is when these
>     variables are actually used.

These are faces with various colors, and other font style options.  They
are commonly used as elements of the `gnus-cite-face-list'.  When quoted
material is displayed in an article buffer Gnus cycles through the list
of faces in `gnus-cite-face-list' as the nesting level of quotations
increases.

You can find out more about `gnus-cite-face-list' by reading its doc
string

    C-h v gnus-cite-face-list RET

and by looking it up in the index of the Gnus manual:

    C-h i m Gnus RET                    ; Fire up the Gnus manual
    i gnus-cite-face-list RET           ; Lookup variable in the Index.

>   - When I read an article (in the article buffer), I'd like long
>     lines that don't fit in one line to be split into several lines.
>     Currently the end of these lines are not displayed.

The default behavior of Emacs is to wrap long lines.  What you wrote
above seems to be the result of a local customization.

If you have customized the `truncate-lines' and you want to _keep_
this sort of customization for everything else but to disable it for
Gnus, you may have to explicitly reset its value to nil in article
buffers:

    (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook
      '(lambda ()
         (setq truncate-lines nil)))

FWIW, quickly toggling between truncated lines and wrapped lines is
something I often find useful, so I have the following in my ~/.emacs
file too:

    ;; Truncating of long lines is turned off by default, but I may
    ;; want to quickly toggle it back on with C-c t.
    (setq truncate-lines nil)
    (global-set-key "\C-ct" 'toggle-truncate-lines)

This way I can type `C-c t' to enter and leave truncate-lines mode.

Happy Gnus'ing :-)

* Re: A couple of questions...
@ 2008-10-28 10:46   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-28 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello Giorgos,

Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> writes:

> On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:44:20 +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
>> Hello,
>> I'm still learning gnus and still have a couple of basic questions:
>>
>>   - How can I mark a whole thread as expirable. I tried to process
>>     mark the whole thread and press 'E' but...
>
> I often use `C-k' to kill the entire thread, but there are other ways
> to mark and expire parts of a thread, or even the entire thread.`

Yes but it only marks the whole thread as read.

> If you want to expire only the articles marked with the process mark,
> you can use the `M-&' prefix.  Mark the articles first and then type
> `M-& E' to expire all the process-marked articles.

Very useful, I missed this one in the info !

>>   - How can I guess 'gnus-cite-[0-9]' meanings, that is when these
>>     variables are actually used.
>
> These are faces with various colors, and other font style options.  They
> are commonly used as elements of the `gnus-cite-face-list'.  When quoted
> material is displayed in an article buffer Gnus cycles through the list
> of faces in `gnus-cite-face-list' as the nesting level of quotations
> increases.
>
> You can find out more about `gnus-cite-face-list' by reading its doc
> string
>
>     C-h v gnus-cite-face-list RET
>
> and by looking it up in the index of the Gnus manual:
>
>     C-h i m Gnus RET                    ; Fire up the Gnus manual
>     i gnus-cite-face-list RET           ; Lookup variable in the Index.
>
>>   - When I read an article (in the article buffer), I'd like long
>>     lines that don't fit in one line to be split into several lines.
>>     Currently the end of these lines are not displayed.
>
> The default behavior of Emacs is to wrap long lines.  What you wrote
> above seems to be the result of a local customization.

You're right: asking for the description of this variable tells me:

,----
| truncate-lines is a variable defined in `C source code'.
| Its value is t
| Local in buffer *Summary gmane.emacs.gnus.user*; global value is nil
| Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
`----

So this variable seems to have been customized locally though I don't
know why.

> If you have customized the `truncate-lines' and you want to _keep_
> this sort of customization for everything else but to disable it for
> Gnus, you may have to explicitly reset its value to nil in article
> buffers:
>
>     (add-hook 'gnus-article-prepare-hook
>       '(lambda ()
>          (setq truncate-lines nil)))
>
> FWIW, quickly toggling between truncated lines and wrapped lines is
> something I often find useful, so I have the following in my ~/.emacs
> file too:
>
>     ;; Truncating of long lines is turned off by default, but I may
>     ;; want to quickly toggle it back on with C-c t.
>     (setq truncate-lines nil)
>     (global-set-key "\C-ct" 'toggle-truncate-lines)
>
> This way I can type `C-c t' to enter and leave truncate-lines mode.

All of this is also usefull,

> Happy Gnus'ing :-)

Thanks again !

Francis

* Re: A couple of questions...
@ 2008-10-28 20:05     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-10-28 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>> The default behavior of Emacs is to wrap long lines.  What you wrote
>> above seems to be the result of a local customization.
>
> You're right: asking for the description of this variable tells me:
>
> ,----
> | truncate-lines is a variable defined in `C source code'.
> | Its value is t
> | Local in buffer *Summary gmane.emacs.gnus.user*; global value is nil
> | Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
> `----
>
> So this variable seems to have been customized locally though I don't
> know why.

I finally got the answer: this actually happens when the window was
splitted horizontally. In this case emacs does not wrap long lines
except if you set 'truncate-partial-width-windows' to nil.

Francis

* Re: A couple of questions...
@ 2008-10-29 16:34       ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-10-29 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 21:05:51 +0100, Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:
>Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>> The default behavior of Emacs is to wrap long lines.  What you wrote
>>> above seems to be the result of a local customization.
>>
>> You're right: asking for the description of this variable tells me:
>>
>> ,----
>> | truncate-lines is a variable defined in `C source code'.
>> | Its value is t
>> | Local in buffer *Summary gmane.emacs.gnus.user*; global value is nil
>> | Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
>> `----
>>
>> So this variable seems to have been customized locally though I don't
>> know why.

`Local in buffer *Summary gmane.emacs.gnus.user*' means that the
variable was `nil' in a global context, and it was somehow set when you
entered that buffer.

> I finally got the answer: this actually happens when the window was
> splitted horizontally. In this case emacs does not wrap long lines
> except if you set 'truncate-partial-width-windows' to nil.

That's funny.  I am not sure why this is happening.  With an Emacs 23.X
installation here, I can start Emacs without any sort of init file by
typing in my shell prompt

    emacs -q --no-site-file --no-splash .bashrc

Then split the window in two side-by-side windows by typing `C-x 3' and
I see the long lines wrapped.  Now I'm a bit confused.