* Re: How do I turn off "drawing" when reading E-mail in Gnus?
       [not found] ` <un0jyl1gq.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
@ 2003-03-15  4:53   ` Mel Roman
From: Mel Roman @ 2003-03-15  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank Schmitt <usereplyto@Frank-Schmitt.net> writes:

> See http://my.gnus.org/FAQ, question 3.6 "I'd like Gnus NOT to render
> HTML-mails but show me the text part if it's available. How to do it?"

That's great, guys.  Thanks you all for your helpful responses.  I've
added the recommended lines to my .gnus file and my mail reading is
much more enjoyable now.

I also appreciated pointing me to the FAQ onthe Gnus site.  I'll
try to take a good look there in the future before posting
further questions.

Thanks again,

Mel

* Re: How do I turn off "drawing" when reading E-mail in Gnus?
       [not found] <m2el5a20ng.fsf@canada.com>
@ 2003-03-14 13:57 ` Derrell.Lipman
       [not found] ` <un0jyl1gq.fsf@hschmi22.userfqdn.rz-online.de>
From: Derrell.Lipman @ 2003-03-14 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mel Roman <melroman@canada.com> writes:

> Hi:
>
> I've been using Gnus as both my mail reader and new reader for
> a while now.  There is one thing I find annoying when reading
> mail, however.  When I open my mail group (after the download
> from the POP server), I have to wait a minute or so while Gnus
> says it's "drawing../" the  graphics in the mail.
>
> There must  be a way that I can turn this drawing off so that
> I can ignore the graphics and immediately get on with reading
> the text.  Does anyone know how I do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mel

In addition to the other responses you got for displaying the text portion of
the message and using an alternative to w3, you can also easily remove much of
the problem with the variable 'w3-delay-image-loads'.  I found that most of
the drawing is occurring for images "requested by" (as opposed to "included
in") the html mail and if you enable this feature, those images wont be
downloaded or drawn.

Derrell