* Store .newsrc on server (and load it again)
@ 2008-10-16  9:10 Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2008-10-16  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

I'd like to store my .newsrc on a server and load it when Gnus starts
up, so I could use Gnus on different systems.
I'd preferably use IMAP but I think noone has implemented this yet.
So maybe someone has written some code that copies the .newsrc file
using scp after each write and retrieves it (also using scp) when Gnus
starts?
This should be fairly simple to implement for someone who is familar
with Emacs Lisp (which I'm unfortunately not).

--
Ciao, Sebastian

* Re: Store .newsrc on server (and load it again)
@ 2008-10-16 13:22 ` Ted Zlatanov
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-10-16 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:10:16 +0200 Sebastian Kaps <seb@sauerland.de> wrote:

SK> I'd like to store my .newsrc on a server and load it when Gnus starts
SK> up, so I could use Gnus on different systems.
SK> I'd preferably use IMAP but I think noone has implemented this yet.
SK> So maybe someone has written some code that copies the .newsrc file
SK> using scp after each write and retrieves it (also using scp) when Gnus
SK> starts?
SK> This should be fairly simple to implement for someone who is familar
SK> with Emacs Lisp (which I'm unfortunately not).

I want to do this (file access through Tramp to an IMAP server) but
unfortunately haven't had the time.  I got a file to open by name, but
didn't do the necessary work to integrate it with Tramp.  It's on my
TODO list.

Meanwhile, you can just use the Tramp syntax for the file name:

/host:/path/to/file

and see if it works.  It should be OK, Gnus won't care that it's a
remote file.

Ted

* Re: Store .newsrc on server (and load it again)
@ 2008-10-16 14:02   ` David
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1205.1224165755.25473.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: David @ 2008-10-16 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:10:16 +0200 Sebastian Kaps <seb@sauerland.de> wrote:
> I'd like to store my .newsrc on a server and load it when Gnus starts
> up, so I could use Gnus on different systems.
> I'd preferably use IMAP but I think noone has implemented this yet.
> So maybe someone has written some code that copies the .newsrc file
> using scp after each write and retrieves it (also using scp) when Gnus
> starts?
> This should be fairly simple to implement for someone who is familar
> with Emacs Lisp (which I'm unfortunately not).

Ted already pointed you to Tramp. Let me add that syncing only .newsrc
might not be enough, depending on the features you use. For example,
drafts will be saved locally, not on the IMAP server. Therefore, you
should usually also sync ~/News and ~/Mail. I've written up an Emacs
Lisp function some time ago for doing this, via rsync. See

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusSync

for details.

-David

* Re: Store .newsrc on server (and load it again)
@ 2008-10-16 14:10   ` Sebastian Kaps
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6240.1241000791.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1205.1224165755.25473.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2008-10-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

// Ted Zlatanov writes:

> Meanwhile, you can just use the Tramp syntax for the file name:
> /host:/path/to/file

Thanks! This seems to work great!

--

@ 2008-10-16 14:22     ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2008-10-16 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

// David  writes:

> Ted already pointed you to Tramp. Let me add that syncing only .newsrc
> might not be enough, depending on the features you use. For example,
> drafts will be saved locally, not on the IMAP server.

That's okay. I have reduced Gnus to just being a newsreader after having
it used many years for mail, too. It just can't compete with the looks
of a Mac program and I'm starting to appreciate a little eye-candy here
and there... ;-)

> Therefore, you should usually also sync ~/News and ~/Mail. I've
> written up an Emacs Lisp function some time ago for doing this, via
> rsync. See
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusSync
> For details.

Thanks! I'll try this out. It seems to be the cleaner solution.

--

@ 2009-04-29 10:26     ` giglio robbo' d'acciaio
       [not found]     ` <mailman.6240.1241000791.31690.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: giglio robbo' d'acciaio @ 2009-04-29 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sebastian Kaps <seb@sauerland.de> writes:

> // Ted Zlatanov writes:
>
>> Meanwhile, you can just use the Tramp syntax for the file name:
>> /host:/path/to/file
>
> Thanks! This seems to work great!

Can you post an example? I'm not so accustomed with syntax. Thanks in
advance.
--
                     Dona i tuoi cicli di clock alla ricerca!
                     http://boinc.berkeley.edu/

@ 2009-04-29 20:21       ` Sebastian Kaps
From: Sebastian Kaps @ 2009-04-29 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

// giglio robbo' d'acciaio writes:

> Can you post an example? I'm not so accustomed with syntax. Thanks in
> advance.

I don't have the specific code anymore since I switched to using this:
<http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusSync>
Basically, you can open a file on a remote machine by specifying
"/machine:/path/to/file" as file name. In my case this would use ssh,
but it's configurable to use other protocols too.
See here for details <http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/>

--
Ciao, Sebastian