* yank and quote region between marks
@ 2003-11-27 17:41 Tim McNamara
       [not found] ` <m3llq14r0t.fsf@defun.localdomain>
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-27 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to duplicate a bit of functionality I have in various Mac
mail clients and newsreaders.  In those newsreaders I can highlight a
region of text in an article, and select "reply" which then properly
quotes and rewraps the text into the reply article.

In Gnus, all I seem to be able to do is reply or reply-and-yank the
whole article, which is kind of annoying if I am replying to one point
in a long post.  I'd be astonished if there is no way to select a
region of text in a post and have it automagically quoted into a
reply.  But I don't know how to do it, or how to configure Gnus to
make this possible, and haven't found anything in the manual about
it.

Anyone know how to do this?  Thanks!

* Re: yank and quote region between marks
       [not found]     ` <m33cc8zwq0.fsf@defun.localdomain>
@ 2003-11-28 15:47       ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-28 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:

> Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:
>
> > Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
> >
> >> I don't remember if this is new in Gnus 5.10 -- but it works just
> >> the way you describe if you mark a region in the original article
> >> and hit `F'.
> >
> > Not thus far in this version or the one I usually use (5.9).  I
> > have not been able to compile a 21.3 version of Emacs for a
> > variety of reasons
>
> You don't need Emacs 21.3 to use Gnus 5.10 -- just download the
> tarball from gnus.org.

Oh.  Well, newbie alert here!  I assumed that the Emacs and Gnus
versions were tightly bound.  Thanks for the tip!