* Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 15:40 Zhou Yan
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Zhou Yan @ 2007-03-06 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I use a MacBook and use CarbonEmacsPackage. It works well almost all
the time, but when I tried to use gnus to send messages, it does
work. The version come with Mac OS X---the terminal version---works
well.
What's wrong with CarbonEmacs?

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 15:46 ` Zhou Yan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Zhou Yan @ 2007-03-06 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

P.S. the problem is, when I send messges, it says," You appear to have
a misconfigured system.  Really post? (y or n)"

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 16:01 ` Jouni K. Seppänen
       [not found] ` <mailman.533.1173196966.7795.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Jouni K. Seppänen @ 2007-03-06 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Zhou Yan <zhouyan@iMac.local> writes:

> I use a MacBook and use CarbonEmacsPackage. It works well almost all
> the time, but when I tried to use gnus to send messages, it does
> work.

It works fine for me, and probably many other people. You'll have to
provide much more detail than "does [not] work". For example, what
exactly do you mean by "send messages"? How do you know it fails?

Please read

on how to formulate your question so that it has a better chance of
being answered helpfully.

--
Jouni K. Seppänen
http://www.iki.fi/jks

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 16:21 ` CHENG Gao
       [not found] ` <mailman.533.1173196966.7795.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-03-06 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

*On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:40:35 +0800
* Zhou Yan <zhouyan@iMac.local> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> I use a MacBook and use CarbonEmacsPackage. It works well almost all
> the time, but when I tried to use gnus to send messages, it does
> work. The version come with Mac OS X---the terminal version---works
> well.
> What's wrong with CarbonEmacs?

I dont think there is anything wrong with CarbonEmacs.
I guess your problem is with PATH. Carbon Emacs (when running by mouse
clicking App icon) can not get PATH from environment.

You can create dir ~/.MacOSX, then create file environement.plist, and
put something like

,----
| <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
| <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
| <plist version="1.0">
| <dict>
| 	<key>PATH</key>
| 	<string>/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin</string>
| </dict>
| </plist>
`----
or explicitly set sendmail-program in your .emacs or .gnus (to
/usr/sbin/sendmail I suppose).

HTH,

CHENG Gao

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
       [not found] ` <mailman.533.1173196966.7795.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-03-06 16:22   ` Zhou Yan
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Zhou Yan @ 2007-03-06 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sorry... I am `too' new to newgroup, a little excited...and showed
quite silly...

I set my ~/.gnus with

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.giganews.com"))

Nothing else. I think missed some configuration.

When I press, C-c C-c, Carbon Emacs says

"You appear to have a misconfigured system. Really send? Answer (y/n)"

Actually, the news can be send successful, but I am quite confused
with that warning message.

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 16:26     ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-03-06 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Sorry I may misunderstand you. I thought you mean sending email.
Since you can post messages here, it should be ok. The error may lie in
somewhere else. The best you post your conf file.

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 16:27     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-03-06 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 00:22:12 +0800, Zhou wrote:

> "You appear to have a misconfigured system. Really send? Answer (y/n)"

This question appears when when your host address is unknown to emacs
and the Message-ID cannot be generated including your correct domain.

If you look at the Message-ID of your articles, you see something like
this:

A guess would be that setting mail-host-address could help.

  Best regards,

--
 "Let's kill the clockwork"                                   Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 16:34     ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2007-03-06 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Check your Message id --
<m2649ez6iz.fsf@iMac.local.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me>.

grep told me error message

,----
| You appear to have a misconfigured system
`----

is from message.el in the situation that no fqdn is set. You can solve
this by setting user-mail-address to your email address.

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 17:16   ` Zhou Yan
From: Zhou Yan @ 2007-03-06 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I wonder how to set this variable? Which value should I set? in the
~/.gnus file or ~./emacs file?

Could you please give a example?

I search the file message.el, And got the following:

;; Check "Shoot me".
   (message-check 'shoot
     (if (re-search-forward
	  "Message-ID.*.i-did-not-set--mail-host-address--so-tickle-me" nil t)
	 (y-or-n-p "You appear to have a misconfigured system.  Really post? ")
       t))

I think this is the problem, just as you said.

* Re: Why the CarbonEmacsPackage cannot use gnus properly?
@ 2007-03-06 18:19     ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-03-06 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 01:16:10 +0800, Zhou wrote:

> I wonder how to set this variable?

Like you set any other variable in your emacs.

> Which value should I set?

The documentation says:

,----[ C-h v mail-host-address RET ]

`----

> in the ~/.gnus file or ~./emacs file?

Whichever you want, I guess.

> Could you please give a example?

(setq mail-host-address "example.com") ;;; where you change
                                       ;;; example.com to your domain

> I search the file message.el, And got the following:

[...]

> I think this is the problem, just as you said.

Guess how I found out.

  Best regards,