* Re: mail backend questions
       [not found]   ` <77518359.0309012036.250605dd@posting.google.com>
@ 2003-09-19  7:28     ` Hanak David
From: Hanak David @ 2003-09-19  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 02 Sep 2003, Jason Eisner wrote:

>> Another possibility might be to implement a file handler (see the
>> variable file-name-handler-alist) that groks tar.  Then it might be
>> fairly easy to use nnml but tell it to use a tar file as the
>> directory.  Then you would get the good compression ratios that way.
>
> Very cute idea!  So, for example, (file-directory-p "~/Mail/foo.tar")
> would return true, and "~/Mail/foo.tar/j" would be a valid filename.

Check out AVFS, a generic, low level virtual file handler for Unices.  It
handles tar files pretty well, and implements caching too, so there's no
need to worry about the number of disk accesses.  You can also use zip or
rar, if you'd like to.  Alas, it doesn't contain write support yet.  But I
simply can't live without it anymore.

http://www.inf.bme.hu/~mszeredi/avfs

David

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-09-19  7:28 UTC | newest]