* gnus-message-archive-group is too big!
@ 2007-06-01 16:59 Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-06-01 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I've set this variable to point to a file to store all outgoing messages. Unfortunately
it stores EVERYTHING in one long humoungous file. It's now over 100 MB long. It's taking
to long to access it.

Is there any cure for this short of moving it out of the directory so that gnus starts
a new file? That is, is there any automated way for gnus to split the file up?
--
%  Randy Yates                  % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %            on, and she's also a telephone."

* Re: gnus-message-archive-group is too big!
@ 2007-06-05  9:30 ` Randy Yates
From: Randy Yates @ 2007-06-05  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello? Is this thing on???

--RY

Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:

> I've set this variable to point to a file to store all outgoing messages. Unfortunately
> it stores EVERYTHING in one long humoungous file. It's now over 100 MB long. It's taking
> to long to access it.
>
> Is there any cure for this short of moving it out of the directory so that gnus starts
> a new file? That is, is there any automated way for gnus to split the file up?
> --
> %  Randy Yates                  % "She has an IQ of 1001, she has a jumpsuit
> %% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %            on, and she's also a telephone."
> %%% 919-577-9882                %
> %%%% <yates@ieee.org>           %        'Yours Truly, 2095', *Time*, ELO
> http://home.earthlink.net/~yatescr

--
%  Randy Yates                  % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC            %  is say I'm sorry,

@ 2007-06-05 10:10   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-06-05 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

----- Randy Yates (2007-06-05) wrote:-----

>> Randy Yates <yates@ieee.org> writes:
>>
>>> I've set this variable to point to a file to store all outgoing
>>> messages. Unfortunately it stores EVERYTHING in one long humoungous
>>> file. It's now over 100 MB long. It's taking to long to access it.
>>>
>>> Is there any cure for this short of moving it out of the directory
>>> so that gnus starts a new file? That is, is there any automated way
>>> for gnus to split the file up?
>
> Hello? Is this thing on???
>
> --RY

You can use a different backend that supports one message per file.

For example,

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
            "nnml:Sent-News"