* Gnus fails to reconnect to IMAP server after idle timeout
@ 2007-01-01 10:41 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2007-01-01 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

After some idle time, my IMAP server (Cyrus IMAP4
v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1+sarge2) times out connections.  (At least
that's what it looks like: In the echo area in Emacs I see something
along the lines of "garbage" and "BYE idle too long".)

Gnus notices that the server isn't responding, but it puts the server
in the denied state and thus doesn't reconnect properly.  Closing and
then reopening the server works, but is a hassle.

What can I do to help Gnus reconnect?

Kai

* Re: Gnus fails to reconnect to IMAP server after idle timeout
@ 2007-01-05 20:17 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2007-01-05 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gnus used to use STARTTLS to talk to the server.  I changed it to use
(nnimap-stream ssl) in the server parameters, and now it works well.

       [not found] <mailman.2605.1167648097.2155.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-01 18:00 ` Steven E. Harris
From: Steven E. Harris @ 2007-01-01 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai@emptydomain.de (Kai "=?utf-8?Q?Gro=C3=9Fjohann?=") writes:

> After some idle time, my IMAP server (Cyrus IMAP4
> v2.1.18-IPv6-Debian-2.1.18-1+sarge2) times out connections.

I notice the exact same problem connecting to a Courier-IMAP
server. If I hit `1 g' to check my mail after the server has been idle
for about a minute, Gnus notices the connection is dead, but then asks
if I want to go offline. I then have to answer no and try a more
forceful mail check attempt with `M-g' on the IMAP group, or go to the
Server buffer, close the server, and reopen it.

For what it's worth, this IMAP server's select method contains

  (nnimap-stream starttls)

which may influence how connections are opened and unexpected closes
are detected.

--
Steven E. Harris