* gnus charsets
@ 2005-06-14 12:40 Mads Jensen
From: Mads Jensen @ 2005-06-14 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi NG

I've been looking in the manual, but I can't find out which setting I
need to alter in order to change the character set, which all my
email/messages are encoded with. Right now, it appears that the default
character set in emacs is latin-1.

Thanks in advance,
--
Mads Jensen - mail sent to address ends in /dev/null
              s/spam/madsj for emailing me

It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so
ingenious.

* Re: gnus charsets
@ 2005-06-14 14:56 ` The Chief Instigator
From: The Chief Instigator @ 2005-06-14 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mads Jensen <spam@raptus.dk> writes:

>Hi NG

>I've been looking in the manual, but I can't find out which setting I
>need to alter in order to change the character set, which all my
>email/messages are encoded with. Right now, it appears that the default
>character set in emacs is latin-1.

It depends on your ISP's installation - but to switch to a different character
set:

C-x RET t, and then enter the character set at the prompt.  (Mine defaults to
ASCII, but I use that to switch to IS0-8859-1...which is what your default
is.)

--
  Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (patrick@io.com)  Houston, Texas
  chiefinstigator.us.tt/aeros.php (soon to be TCI's 2005-06 Houston Aeros)

* Re: gnus charsets
@ 2005-06-14 15:18 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2005-06-14 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mads Jensen <spam@raptus.dk> writes:

> I've been looking in the manual, but I can't find out which setting I
> need to alter in order to change the character set, which all my
> email/messages are encoded with. Right now, it appears that the default
> character set in emacs is latin-1.

I have

;;UTF-8 is the future
(setq mm-coding-system-priorities '(mule-utf-8))

in my .gnus. If you don't want Unicode, a list of charsets would
probably be more appropriate.

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough