* Re: gnus-user-format-function extract from body
       [not found] <7er82ou5hf.fsf@rembrandt.fdm.uni-freiburg.de>
@ 2003-09-12  2:40 ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]   ` <7epti64gvd.fsf@rembrandt.fdm.uni-freiburg.de>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-12  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Gerds <gerds@fdm.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> i am reading a mailing list where the 'From' header always refers to the
> person who rules the list. the informative 'From' is always the second
> line of the body. can anyone give me an example of an
> gnus-user-format-function that extracts strings from the body?

Something like this:

(defun gnus-user-format-function-y (ignore)
  (if gnus-newsgroup-name
      (with-temp-buffer
	(gnus-request-article-this-buffer number gnus-newsgroup-name)
	(gnus-narrow-to-body)
	(if (re-search-forward "From \\(.*\\)$" nil t)
	    (match-string 1)
	  ""))
    ""))

It'll slow down summary buffer generation a lot, of course.

@ 2003-09-12 14:44     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-12 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Gerds <gerds@fdm.uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> it could also be useful for spam/misc groups where it is interesting
> to know if the first 3 lines contain something such as hi-hello-dear
> my-name before opening -- which can be really slow for some
> html-mails.

It's probably easier to use scoring (where you can score on the body)
for something like this.