* gnus-treat-unsplit-urls supposed to act on outgoing posts?
@ 2005-04-10 20:01 Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-10 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I recently set gnus-treat-unsplit-urls to t assuming it was meant for
better article reading.

Now I found out it acts on outgoing articles, too. I.e. in my case it
changed the following

blah ...
htt://abc.org/xyz
blah ...

into

blah ...
htt://abc.org/xyzblah ...

Is this the intended behavior?

Thanks, Bruno.

* Re: gnus-treat-unsplit-urls supposed to act on outgoing posts?
@ 2005-04-11  8:19 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-04-11  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Apr 10 2005, Bruno Hertz wrote:

> I recently set gnus-treat-unsplit-urls to t assuming it was meant for
> better article reading.
>
> Now I found out it acts on outgoing articles, too. I.e. in my case it
> changed the following
[...]
> Is this the intended behavior?

No, let's see...

,----[ C-h v gnus-treat-unsplit-urls RET ]
| gnus-treat-unsplit-urls's value is t
|
| Remove newlines from within URLs.
`----

http://www.gnus.org
not part of the URL.

In `mml-preview', the URL in fact is unsplit, but I don't think it
happens in the outgoing or Gcc-ed message.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus-treat-unsplit-urls supposed to act on outgoing posts?
@ 2005-04-11  8:34   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-04-11  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 11 2005, Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10 2005, Bruno Hertz wrote:
[...]
>> Now I found out it acts on outgoing articles, too. I.e. in my case it
>> changed the following
> [...]
>> Is this the intended behavior?
>
> No, let's see...
>
> ,----[ C-h v gnus-treat-unsplit-urls RET ]
> | gnus-treat-unsplit-urls's value is t
> |
> | Remove newlines from within URLs.
> `----
>
> http://www.gnus.orgnot part of the URL.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As you can see, it happens in the *display* of the Gcc-ed article
which is also used to get the cited text.  This also happens for other
treat functions.  I'd recommend not to set `gnus-treat-unsplit-urls'
to t; better use `W u' interactively *only* when needed.

> In `mml-preview', the URL in fact is unsplit, but I don't think it
> happens in the outgoing or Gcc-ed message.

I doesn't unfold in outgoing or Gcc:

,----
| $ grep -A1 http://www /var/spool/news/out.going/8970-1113207545-1
| http://www.gnus.org
| not part of the URL.
`----

Bye, Reiner.

* Re: gnus-treat-unsplit-urls supposed to act on outgoing posts?
@ 2005-04-11 15:16     ` Bruno Hertz
From: Bruno Hertz @ 2005-04-11 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <reiner.steib@physik.uni-ulm.de> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 11 2005, Reiner Steib wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 10 2005, Bruno Hertz wrote:
> [...]
>>> Now I found out it acts on outgoing articles, too. I.e. in my case it
>>> changed the following
>> [...]
>>> Is this the intended behavior?
>>
>> No, let's see...
>>
>> ,----[ C-h v gnus-treat-unsplit-urls RET ]
>> | gnus-treat-unsplit-urls's value is t
>> |
>> | Remove newlines from within URLs.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.gnus.orgnot part of the URL.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> As you can see, it happens in the *display* of the Gcc-ed article
> which is also used to get the cited text.  This also happens for other
> treat functions.  I'd recommend not to set `gnus-treat-unsplit-urls'
> to t; better use `W u' interactively *only* when needed.
>
>> In `mml-preview', the URL in fact is unsplit, but I don't think it
>> happens in the outgoing or Gcc-ed message.
>
> I doesn't unfold in outgoing or Gcc:
>
> ,----
> | $ grep -A1 http://www /var/spool/news/out.going/8970-1113207545-1
> | http://www.gnus.org
> | not part of the URL.
> `----

Dear me, thanks Reiner for your reply. Really stupid, I could have
just checked myself by displaying the raw article. At times, the
obvious seems too close to just see it. The old 'you got what you
asked for' theme ...

Regards, Bruno.