* Re: IMAP drafts
       [not found] ` <87ad5mgsdt.fsf@emptyhost.emptydomain.de>
@ 2003-12-22 19:42   ` Mats Löfdahl
From: Mats Löfdahl @ 2003-12-22 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Mats Löfdahl <xyzzy@chello.se> writes:
>
> > Is there any way to get Gnus to store the drafts group on the IMAP
> > server?
>
> Drafts are stored using the Emacs autosave mechanism, which saves
> files, not messages.  One way to approach the problem would be to
> write a file handler (similar to Ange-FTP, say) that uses imap for
> storage.  Then the message buffers could have an appropriate
> autosave name and then everything would Just Work.

Of course, ange-ftp! It would not have to have anything to with
nnimap! The important thing is that the drafts directory is shared
between home and work.

So I could set nndraft-directory in my home .emacs to a tramp or
ange-ftp remote file name pointing to the drafts directory on my work
machine. Or I could set it on both those machines so it points to that
directory on a third machine, the one that hosts the imap server.

Would that work or would Gnus be confused if the contents of the
drafts directory changed between sessions? And would it be able to
handle Gnus being run on both machines at the same time?

--
Mats Löfdahl

@ 2003-12-30  1:29   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-12-30  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Grossjohann <kai@emptydomain.de> writes:

> Drafts are stored using the Emacs autosave mechanism, which saves
> files, not messages.  One way to approach the problem would be to
> write a file handler (similar to Ange-FTP, say) that uses imap for
> storage.  Then the message buffers could have an appropriate autosave
> name and then everything would Just Work.

That'd be very nice...  It could even make sure that the MIME stuff
was properly formatted before stuffing the message into IMAP, etc.