* Re: send mail in gnus (sorry prev post had no backtrace)
       [not found] <yv5d6lmnjx9.fsf@home.martnet.com>
@ 2003-02-21 17:42 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-02-21 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lou Lesko <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> writes:

> Im having a problem sending mail from gnus heres the backtrace:
>
> Signaling: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>   open-network-stream("SMTP" #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp")
>   apply(open-network-stream ("SMTP" #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp"))
>   binary-funcall(open-network-stream "SMTP" #<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp")
>   smtp-open-connection(#<buffer *trace of SMTP session to nil*> nil "smtp")
>   smtp-send-buffer("lou@louislesko.com" ("lou@louislesko.com") #<buffer  smtpmail temp>)
>
> can anyone help

You have installed FLIM (a different and incompatible Emacs MIME
library).  Get rid of it and things should work fine.¹

If you're actually using FLIM, I would suggest that you upgrade to
Gnus 5.8 instead, which has built-in MIME support.

¹ Setting `smtp-server' to the server you want to use probably also
works.

@ 2003-02-21 13:20 ` Peter Wu
From: Peter Wu @ 2003-02-21 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lou Lesko <lou@NOSPAMlouislesko.com> writes:

> and my .gnus
>
> (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "localhost")
> (setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

Why don't you use sendmail directly in Gnus?