* Re: Saw end of trailers...
       [not found] <873catrw4y.fsf@oz.fapse.ulg.ac.be>
@ 2004-01-06 16:03 ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]   ` <87vfnp101y.fsf@oz.fapse.ulg.ac.be>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-06 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> writes:

> Gnus seems to be really slow these days. Gnus fetchs everything,
> then I got a message in the mini-buffer:
>
> Saw end of trailers...
>
> and Gnus hangs for a few seconds... then, everything is OK.

It looks like a problem with the url package.  Do you have any web
based groups: RSS, Slashdot or similar?  If so try an external fetcher
instead by toggling `mm-url-use-external'.

* Re: Saw end of trailers...
       [not found]   ` <87vfnp101y.fsf@oz.fapse.ulg.ac.be>
@ 2004-01-06 18:00     ` Arnaud Vandyck
       [not found]       ` <87vfnoj1g3.fsf@oz.fapse.ulg.ac.be>
From: Arnaud Vandyck @ 2004-01-06 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> It looks like a problem with the url package.  Do you have any web
>> based groups: RSS, Slashdot or similar?  If so try an external fetcher
>> instead by toggling `mm-url-use-external'.
>
> I've just unsubscribe to a nnrss group because setting
> mm-url-use-external to 't'
>
> (setq mm-url-use-external t)
>
> Make me wait for the rss news so long...
>
> Thanks for the tip, sorry for the rss :'(

now I have
Checking new news...done

That hangs for about half a minute.

So I did that:
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroup nil)

Is it correct?

--
  .''`.
 : :' :rnaud

* Re: Saw end of trailers...
       [not found]       ` <87vfnoj1g3.fsf@oz.fapse.ulg.ac.be>
@ 2004-01-07  1:33         ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2004-01-07  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> writes:

> Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> writes:
>
>> now I have
>> Checking new news...done
>>
>> That hangs for about half a minute.
>
> nearly a minute

Sounds like it's a web source that's timing out.  You might consider
moving your web-based groups to a level that isn't automatically
updated when you press `g'.

If you don't want to do that, you should be able to skip past the
offending source by hitting `C-g' when it hangs...

* Re: Saw end of trailers...
       [not found]       ` <87vfnoj1g3.fsf@oz.fapse.ulg.ac.be>
@ 2004-01-07  1:35         ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2004-01-07  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> writes:

> Arnaud Vandyck <avdyk@debian.org> writes:
>
>> now I have Checking new news...done
>>
>> That hangs for about half a minute.

Do `M-x toggle-debug-on-quit' and press `C-g' while Gnus is hanging --
maybe the resulting backtrace will tell more about where it's stuck.