* Re: Setting default charset for outgoing mail
       [not found]   ` <87isodg9mu.fsf@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>
@ 2003-08-31 20:24     ` Simon Josefsson
       [not found]       ` <87n0dowjgt.fsf@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-08-31 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:

> Simon Josefsson <jas@extundo.com> writes:
>
>> Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:
>>
>>> How do I set the default character set for outgoing mail?
> [...]
>> Otherwise there is no default charset.  Gnus uses the most appropriate
>> charset that can encode the data you type.  To override the logic, add
>> a <#mml charset=iso-8859-42> tag to your message.  If you need to do
>
> After reading your response, and experimenting a bit with Gnus, I
> realize that I have asked only part of the question.
>
> It looks like Gnus is able to pick the right character set based on
> the message content. But it uses quoted printable as the transfer
> encoding, and I would prefer 8bit. How do I set this?

For article bodies, there is the 'encoding' MML tag for per-message
setting, and the variables mm-body-charset-encoding-alist and
mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults for permanent settings.

For headers, see rfc2047-charset-encoding-alist.

Did you see the Emacs MIME manual?  It should contain these
discussions.  Feel free to suggest improvements.

* Re: Setting default charset for outgoing mail
@ 2003-08-31 20:34       ` Jesper Harder
       [not found]       ` <87n0dowjgt.fsf@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-08-31 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:
>
>> It looks like Gnus is able to pick the right character set based on
>> the message content. But it uses quoted printable as the transfer
>> encoding, and I would prefer 8bit. How do I set this?
>
> For article bodies, there is the 'encoding' MML tag for per-message
> setting, and the variables mm-body-charset-encoding-alist and
> mm-content-transfer-encoding-defaults for permanent settings.

I think `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' is the usual option to frob
if you don't want QP in email.

* Re: Setting default charset for outgoing mail
       [not found]           ` <87wuckzsp1.fsf@plato.moon.paoloamoroso.it>
@ 2003-09-08 13:19             ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2003-09-08 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso@mclink.it> writes:

> Jesper Harder <harder@myrealbox.com> writes:
>
>> See <info://gnus/charsets>.  What you want is to change the element
>>
>>     (message-this-is-mail nil nil)
>>
>> in `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist' to either
>
> Where do I change `gnus-group-posting-charset-alist'? I have tried
> the following code in my .gnus:
>
> (defun set-mail-encoding-8bit (alist)
>   "*Set mail transfer encoding to 8bit."
>   (let ((mail-encoding (assq 'message-this-is-mail alist)))
>     (setcdr mail-encoding (list nil t))))
>
> (set-mail-encoding-8bit gnus-group-posting-charset-alist)
>
> but it prints the error:
>
> Error in ~/.gnus: gnus-group-posting-charset-alist

The easiest way is to just use Customize:

    `M-x customize-option RET gnus-group-posting-charset-alist RET'

and then press "save for future sessions" after you've changed it.

If you don't like customize, you could do something like:

  (eval-after-load 'gnus-msg
    '(set-mail-encoding-8bit gnus-group-posting-charset-alist))