* Why the chinese characters become numbers?
@ 2003-05-01  5:03 Hongzheng Wang
From: Hongzheng Wang @ 2003-05-01  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Language environment has been set to chinese gb. And I
can process chinese correctly in normal files. But when
I receive email by gnus, all the words become numbers
like this \023\033...

And some other chinese mail become mosaic, which can't
be recognized at all.

Someone has told me the chinese support in emacs is not
very well and this problem may be caused by the mail used
another coding system, such as, GBK.

Can this problem be resolved?

* Re: Why the chinese characters become numbers?
@ 2003-05-01  6:13 ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-05-01  6:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hongzheng Wang <wanghz@tu173044.tsinghua.edu.cn> writes:

> Language environment has been set to chinese gb. And I
> can process chinese correctly in normal files. But when
> I receive email by gnus, all the words become numbers
> like this \023\033...

That probably means that the mails you receive don't have proper MIME
headers.  Do the messages display correctly if you use `C-u 0 g' on
one of these messages and then manually specify the charset to use?
If so, there are some Gnus variables you can tinker with to say what
the default charset should be...