* Re: New to Gnus
       [not found] <m3oetgc17s.fsf@anandpc.cc.iitm.ernet.in>
@ 2004-01-07 19:08 ` Frank Schmitt
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2004-01-07 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rajsekar Manokaran <rajsekar_manokaran@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> The institution that I am in does not set up anything related to
> reading news.  Gnus starts up properly but I am not able to see a list
> of all the groups so that I can subscribe.  Listing the zombie or
> killed groups too does not help. (It says that no such groups exist).

Perhaps one of the tips in the FAQ at http://my.gnus.org/FAQ can help
you?

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough

@ 2004-01-07 16:43 ` Esben Rugbjerg
From: Esben Rugbjerg @ 2004-01-07 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

You could also start by doing a 'A A' to list the active file which is a
complete list of all available news groups.

After that you can put the cursor on the newsgroup you want to subscribe
to and press 'u' to subscribe.

When you are finished subscribing press 'l' to list groups with new
content.

/Esben Rugbjerg
Denmark

* Re: New to gnus
       [not found]   ` <iloverobin.87admnw46b.fsf@news.socha.net>
@ 2002-09-13 11:24     ` Lute Kamstra
From: Lute Kamstra @ 2002-09-13 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robin S. Socha" <robin-dated-1032107952.695f9a@socha.net> writes:

[...]

> That, however, is very true. In addition, we've set up
> <http://my.gnus.org/GDG/>, a minimalistic dotfile generator. BTW, if
> anyone has an idea which other forms to add there, let me know.

Out of curiosity, I tried this.  There seems to be a bug in the
generator.  One of the things it suggested was:

;==============
; These are your POP3 settings
       (setq '((nnml "Private"
              ;; spool directory for the nnml mail backend
              (nnml-directory "~/mail/")
              ;; mail active file
              (nnml-active-file "~/mail/active")))

The form is missing a variable and a closing parenthesis.

Lute.

--
(spook) => "subversive blackjack AIEWS"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")

* New to gnus
@ 2002-09-12 13:19 Glenn Ivar Klausen
       [not found] ` <878z276zk3.fsf@millingtons.org>
From: Glenn Ivar Klausen @ 2002-09-12 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm new to gnus, and are using the Gnus manual to configure it, but that
is quite a hassle since the manual is to general to be of any help with
the specific settings.

Eg. How do I subscribe to groups? I've set the

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.online.no"))

and I manage to log into the server, but I do not know how to subscribe.
When I press the subscribe button, the minibuffer prints out:

-> no more newsgroups.

And when it in the manual is stated this:

"You'll also be subscribed to the Gnus documentation group, which should
help you with most common problems. "

Would that be this group ??? Since I've not been able to subscribe to
any group I just do not have a clue (these kind of statements in the
manual are very frustrating when you are a newbie and tring to make an
effort to learn).

And the variable

gnus-default-subscribed-newsgroups

if I would like to subscribe to

gnu.emacs.gnus, comp.emacs.xemacs and no.it.diverse. How would I do
that?

I'va manage to subscribe to two groups by the command U in the
minibuffer, but it responds

-> Couldn't open server.

When I tried to read the group. How do I reopen the server?

When I start gnus from xemacs, using M-x gnus, I get the error:

-> (6) (sream/warning) failure to open network stream to host
"news.online.no" for service "nntp"

I assume this is because I was not prompted for username and password.
Why not? And it there a possibility to set this permanent so that I dont
have to enter this every time?

Plese help me with these matters so I can get my gnus running.

Glenn