* Re: IMAP beginner help:  Why doesn't gnus see my new mail until I touch it?
       [not found] <m3u12e7ekq.fsf@d200.dupont02.swarthmore.edu>
       [not found] ` <y68n0863xsh.fsf@no-knife.mit.edu>
@ 2004-01-30 21:53 ` Mats Löfdahl
From: Mats Löfdahl @ 2004-01-30 21:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas Hunter <thunter1@swarthmore.edu> writes:

> I've reread the info pages and the faq and searched through the back
> articles, but I cannot seem to understand why when I fetch new news,
> gnus does not find newly arrived mail in my imap boxes.  If I touch
> the imap box in which new mail has arrived--say by reading the
> previously read mail or moving something in or out of it or by
> accessing it with evolution--then fetching subsequently finds the new
> mail, but otherwise I just get "no gnus is bad news."  :-(

I've found that Gnus is more likely to realize there are new messages
in my nimap INBOX if I press M-g several times (it's usually enough
with two or three) in rapid succession.

--
--- Mats Löfdahl
----

@ 2004-01-30 14:16   ` Thomas Hunter
From: Thomas Hunter @ 2004-01-30 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you David, for your reply.

You are right:

The context is:

    (custom-set-variables
    ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
    [... lots of other variables set...]
    '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnimap "imap.swarthmore.edu"))))
    [... lots of other variables set...]
    '(visible-bell nil))

Which, if I understand, amounts to the same as your setq statement.
describe-variable returns

    gnus-secondary-select-methods's value is
    ((nnimap "imap.swarthmore.edu"))

as expected.  I still don't get why gnus-group-get-new-news doesn't
see my imap mail until I touch it.

David Z Maze <dmaze@mit.edu> writes:
> Thomas Hunter <thunter1@swarthmore.edu> writes:
>
> > My .emacs has:
> >
> >> '(gnus-secondary-select-methods (quote ((nnimap "imap.swarthmore.edu"))))
>
> Is this buried in some sort of context?  As a top-level statement,
> this is correct but does nothing.  You probably mean something more
> like
>
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnimap "imap.swarthmore.edu")))
>
> But to check, you might do C-h v gnus-secondary-select-methods and see
> what Emacs thinks the value of that variable is.
>
> --
> David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
> "Theoretical politics is interesting.  Politicking should be illegal."
> 	-- Abra Mitchell

Thomas Hunter