* Re: New "Face:" header?
       [not found]     ` <81d6mkkgf4.fsf@dps10.oconnoronline.net>
@ 2003-01-26  4:17       ` Peter Davis
       [not found]         ` <81el70ij2i.fsf@dps10.oconnoronline.net>
From: Peter Davis @ 2003-01-26  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Billy O'Connor <billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org> writes:

> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
>
>> Jhair Tocancipa Triana <jhair_tocancipa@gmx.net> writes:

>>> Try to remove X-Face from the message-required-news-headers list.
>>>
>>> See C-h v message-required-news-headers RET
>>
>> It doesn't seem to be in the message-required-news-headers or
>> message-required-mail-headers lists.  I assumed it would be ok to have
>> both.  Otherwise, messages with only Face: would have a very limited
>> clientele.
>>
> I'm actually seeing two images in your email address line, one is a
> red sqare, about half the height of, and just to the left of,  your
> "pd" logo.

Thanks.  That's funny.  The PNG file seems to work ok in Photoshop,
and I assume the gnus-face-from-file function works.  Also, I'm not
seeing the "Face:" image at all on my own posts ... just the "X-Face:"
one.

Thanks,

-pd

--
--------
                             Peter Davis

* Re: New "Face:" header?
       [not found]         ` <81el70ij2i.fsf@dps10.oconnoronline.net>
@ 2003-01-26  7:47           ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2003-01-26  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 26 Jan 2003, billyoc@linuxfromscratch.org wrote:

> Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:
>>> I'm actually seeing two images in your email address line, one is
>>> a red sqare, about half the height of, and just to the left of,
>>> your "pd" logo.

And in yours, I'm wondering if it's what you cited below caused that!

>> Thanks.  That's funny.  The PNG file seems to work ok in Photoshop,
>> and I assume the gnus-face-from-file function works.  Also, I'm not
>> seeing the "Face:" image at all on my own posts ... just the
>> "X-Face:" one.
>
> Yeah, I'm getting two headers in your articles:

Unciting this bit just to see.....

--
Take me to the world
A world that smiles

* Re: New "Face:" header?
       [not found]   ` <adhnpx9v.fsf@bitstream.com>
@ 2003-01-26 20:10     ` Romain FRANCOISE
From: Romain FRANCOISE @ 2003-01-26 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

>> If you haven't frobbed `gnus-convert-image-to-face-command', I think
>> you will need the djpeg, ppmnorm, pnmscale, ppmquant, and pnmtopng
>> programs.  Do you have them ?

> I'm on a Windows system.  Do you know if these tools exist for
> Windows?

Some of these programs apparently exist for Windows here:

<URL:http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/>

> Is there some other alternative?

You can create it directly with a good image manipulation program and
Emacs, but the resulting image won't look very nice because reducing the
color palette isn't as good as using the ppmquant program...  If you
want to try anyway, follow these steps:

Take a 48x48 PNG image.  In your favorite image manipulation program,
modify the PNG so that it contains 12 colors or less; the resulting
image must be smaller than 740 bytes (otherwise your header would be too
long).  In The Gimp, you can do it with Image > Mode > Indexed.  (Maybe
there's a way to do quantization as well?)

Once you have a small enough PNG image, open it in Emacs using
`find-file-literally', select the whole buffer (`C-x h'), and call
`base64-encode-region'.  And the result is your Face header.  Be
careful, it must be less than 998 characters with the "Face: " put in
front, and the lines mustn't exceed 79 chars.  The detailed specs are at
<URL:http://quimby.gnus.org/circus/face/>.

Another alternative would be to upload your image somewhere, post the
URL here and ask someone with access to a GNU system to create the
header for you...

Cheers,

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | I just thought I'd go out
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | with a little bit more style.

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2003-01-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

>> If you haven't frobbed `gnus-convert-image-to-face-command', I think
>> you will need the djpeg, ppmnorm, pnmscale, ppmquant, and pnmtopng
>> programs.  Do you have them ?
>
> I'm on a Windows system.  Do you know if these tools exist for
> Windows?

I think these tools do exist for Windows, but I'm not sure.

> Is there some other alternative?

Sure.  Just create a 48x48 PNG file that's smaller than 740 bytes.
Then base64-encode that.

Hm...  I probably should add a convenience function to gnus-fun.  Let's
see...

Ok; I've now added `gnus-convert-png-to-face' to Oort.

* Re: New "Face:" header?
       [not found] <y959qgfq.fsf@bitstream.com>
@ 2003-01-25 17:55 ` Glyn Millington
       [not found] ` <m3znpp3w1i.fsf@mandala.local>
       [not found] ` <87bs242yyl.fsf@china.shootybangbang.com>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2003-01-25 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Davis <pd@world.std.com> writes:

> Is there something wrong with my Face:,

This has to be the most touching question I've ever seen on a newgroup!

Glyn