* Sending of messages is very slow
@ 2003-10-28  5:26 Harald Maier
       [not found] ` <877k2pyek4.fsf@cpe0050da66e294-cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-10-28  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I switched to another provider and now I have to use *auth* smtp
mail. All works fine except the time to send the message takes very
long. Personally I think this is not a problem of smtpmail.el because
sometimes it is very fast and the other times it is very slow (60s).
So I assume it's a problem of the server of my ISP.

Now my question: which option should I use to get rid of this
performance problem. Would it be best to switch to another MTA?
Currently I am only using gnus for sending and retrieving the
messages. It looks that the system comes with 'Postfix'. Would it make
sense to configure Postfix as MTA or to I have other options such as
sendmail or whatever?

Harald

* Re: Sending of messages is very slow
       [not found] ` <877k2pyek4.fsf@cpe0050da66e294-cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com>
@ 2003-10-28 10:08   ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-10-28 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

inconnu <inconnu@cpe0050da66e294-cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com> writes:

> Harald Maier <maierh@myself.com> writes:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I switched to another provider and now I have to use *auth* smtp
>> mail. All works fine except the time to send the message takes very
>> long. Personally I think this is not a problem of smtpmail.el
>> because sometimes it is very fast and the other times it is very
>> slow (60s).  So I assume it's a problem of the server of my ISP.
>>
>> Now my question: which option should I use to get rid of this
>> performance problem. Would it be best to switch to another MTA?
>> Currently I am only using gnus for sending and retrieving the
>> messages. It looks that the system comes with 'Postfix'. Would it
>> make sense to configure Postfix as MTA or to I have other options
>> such as sendmail or whatever?
>>

> Why not cut out your ISP completely and send your mail out from your
> machine directly?
>
> That is what I am doing

And What do I need to configure for this?

Harald