* Re: smtp auth works on windows but not linux?
       [not found] <m3fzgle9z0.fsf@linux.local>
@ 2003-11-19  5:52 ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-11-19  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stemplinger <mstemplingerNOSPAM@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I switched from windows to linux recently and can't send mails using
> emacs and smtpmail anymore.
>
> It's the same emacs (21.3.50 compiled from cvs), gnus (5.10.2) and
> config files. I just copied the config files from windwos to linux and
> everything else worked just fine.

I don't know how to do this with sendmail but I think you should setup
sendmail to do smptmail authentication. A workaround is to use the
latest smtpmail.el from the cvs branch (you are using this with
21.3.50) and setup direct sending to your ISP mail server. The
following example connects to the 1und1 mail server:

,----
| (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "auth.mail.onlinehome.de")
| (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
|       '(
|       ("auth.mail.onlinehome.de" 25 "cc35217168-1" "xxxxxx")
|       ))
`----

Another possiblility is to setup a postfix server to do this. Please,
see lately discussion in this group how to do this.

Harald

* Re: smtp auth works on windows but not linux?
@ 2003-11-19 20:51   ` Martin Stemplinger
       [not found]     ` <ilu3ccjd90g.fsf@latte.josefsson.org>
From: Martin Stemplinger @ 2003-11-19 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mit Nov 19 2003 at 06:52, Harald Maier <maierh@myself.com> wrote:

> ,----
> | (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "auth.mail.onlinehome.de")
> | (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
> |       '(
> |       ("auth.mail.onlinehome.de" 25 "cc35217168-1" "xxxxxx")
> |       ))
> `----

That's exactly my setup (with gmx instead of 1und1). The same
configuration works with smtp authentication on windows. I just
realized that smtpmail-auth-credentials seems not to be available
while I write this posting (i.e. C-h v doesn't know it). Is this normal?

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply by mail

@ 2003-11-20  6:29       ` Harald Maier
From: Harald Maier @ 2003-11-20  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Martin Stemplinger <mstemplingerNOSPAM@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> On Mit Nov 19 2003 at 06:52, Harald Maier <maierh@myself.com> wrote:
>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>>

>> That's exactly my setup (with gmx instead of 1und1). The same
>> configuration works with smtp authentication on windows. I just
>> realized that smtpmail-auth-credentials seems not to be available
>> while I write this posting (i.e. C-h v doesn't know it). Is this normal?
>
> You need a more recent smtpmail.el (and sendmail.el), take them from
> Emacs CVS, I believe they work with Emacs 21.3 too.

Correct, I took the one from Emacs CVS an it works fine for me with
Emacs 21.3.

Harald

@ 2003-11-19  5:26 ` Simon Josefsson
From: Simon Josefsson @ 2003-11-19  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Stemplinger <mstemplingerNOSPAM@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I switched from windows to linux recently and can't send mails using
> emacs and smtpmail anymore.
>
> It's the same emacs (21.3.50 compiled from cvs), gnus (5.10.2) and
> config files. I just copied the config files from windwos to linux and
> everything else worked just fine.
>
> Trying to send a mail gives the following trace
>
> 220 {mp025} GMX Mailservices ESMTP
> EHLO linux.local
> 250-{mp025} GMX Mailservices
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-AUTH=LOGIN CRAM-MD5 PLAIN
> 250-AUTH CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN
> 250 STARTTLS
> MAIL FROM:<mstemplinger@gmx.de>  BODY=8BITMIME
> 551 {mp025} Need to authenticate via SMTP-AUTH-Login
> QUIT
> 221 {mp025} GMX Mailservices
>
> any idea what's going on there?

You need to authenticate yourself.  See the "SMTP" manual, part of
your Emacs installation.