* Re: ~/Mail directory
       [not found] ` <m3r8ayqwt5.fsf@vh213602.truman.edu>
@ 2003-01-29 14:05   ` Oliver Enzmann
From: Oliver Enzmann @ 2003-01-29 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Jay Belanger <belanger@truman.edu> writes:

> I try to keep everything hidden, also, so split between my .emacs and
> my .gnus, I have

> (setq message-auto-save-directory "~/.Mail/drafts/")
> (setq message-directory "~/.Mail/")
> (setq gnus-default-directory "~/.News/")
> (setq gnus-directory "~/.News/")
> (setq gnus-article-save-directory "~/.News/")
> (setq gnus-cache-directory "~/.News/cache/")
> (setq nnml-directory "~/.Mail/")
> (setq gnus-kill-files-directory "~/.News/")
> (setq gnus-dribble-directory "~/.News")
> (setq gnus-agent-directory "~/.News/agent/")

I did the same but set nnml-directory and nnml-active-file within
gnus-secondary-select-methods. I also set gnus-home-directory in my
emacs init file (to load the .gnus file from). In addition, I've used
nnmail-message-id-cache-file to move the nnmail-cache file into
~/.Mail. So far so good.

The variables gnus-directory and message-directory are described as:

   gnus-directory: Directory variable from which all other Gnus file
   variables are derived.

   message-directory: Directory from which all other mail file variables
   are derived.

This does not seem to be entirely true as other variables have to be set
as well to move all News/Mail related files to non-default directories.
I am not 100% sure, but it seems as gnus-article-save-directory,
gnus-kill-files-directory and gnus-cache-directory need to be set
accordingly as well. The only variable which seemed to be automatically
adjusted according to gnus-directory is gnus-agent-directory. Is this
correct, am I missing a variable, fact, clue?

I further wonder what the variable gnus-default-directory does (it's
described as "the default directory for all Gnus buffers"). It's set to
Nil by default. Does this variable do anything at all?

This setup still leaves the .newsrc files in my home directory although
I thought that gnus-home-directory would take care of that. I would
really love to move the .newsrc files to some other place but did not
yet figure out how to do this. Any ideas?

This is with 5.8.8.

Oliver
--
    Oliver Enzmann - Datagram ninja and protector of the holy session
DSS Key: 0x5B5158C6 - RSA Key: 0x3FD52195 - Lat 47°08.083N Long 7°14.350E

* Re: ~/Mail directory
       [not found] <873cnexyii.fsf@labatt.uhoreg.ca>
@ 2003-01-28  7:10 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <m3r8ayqwt5.fsf@vh213602.truman.edu>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> writes:

> (setq nnml-directory "~/.mail")

Don't set this as a normal variable, it's a server parameter:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '( (nnml "" (nnml-directory "~/.mail"))
         ...other.servers... ))

Setting it as a normal variable fails when you have more than one
nnml backend (or backend derived from nnml).
--
Ambibibentists unite!