* Re: Gnus, IMAP and multiply clients
       [not found] ` <pan.2003.10.01.22.24.27.937390@mirror.to>
@ 2003-10-02  0:13   ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found]   ` <xtzd6dfkbgo.fsf@dataman.informatik.uni-bremen.de>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-10-02  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Andrew K. Bressen" <google@mirror.to> writes:

> pps: a macro to just meta-g all groups might make this a little less
> bothersome...

Does `C-c M-g' work? Or you could try M-g on a topic line if you use
topic-mode.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Gnus, IMAP and multiply clients
@ 2003-10-02 13:41     ` Andreas Büsching
From: Andreas Büsching @ 2003-10-02 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Nicole Ulbrich

Hi,

bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se (Johan Bockgård) wrote:

> "Andrew K. Bressen" <google@mirror.to> writes:
>
>> pps: a macro to just meta-g all groups might make this a little less
>> bothersome...
>
> Does `C-c M-g' work? Or you could try M-g on a topic line if you use
> topic-mode.

M-g on a topic line: it's so simple and so helpful. Thanks. But I still
have some groups (esspecially the INBOX) showing the wrong number. But
most of my boxes now show the correct number after hitting M-g on a
topic line.

It's much better now, but not perfect ;-)

I need a perfect solution to keep my girl friend using Gnus ;-)

crunchy

--
Religion is for those who fear hell, Spirituality is for those who have
been there...

@ 2003-10-04  3:02     ` Andrew K. Bressen
From: Andrew K. Bressen @ 2003-10-04  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> From nnimap.el...
>>
>> ;; Todo, major things:
>> ;;
>> ;; o Fix Gnus to view correct number of unread/total articles in group buffer
[...]
>> So, I think we're just stuck with this behavior until someone has time
>> to fix it...
>
> Does anyone know what to do to fix it? Or are we just search for good
> ideas?

I think the "correct" solution is to make nnimap check things
asynchronously. It's apparently been discussed but is a bit more
work than anyone has had time to put in.

See
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=4nlls38qtw.fsf%40lockgroove.bwh.harvard.edu&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26group%3Dgnu.emacs.gnus
aka news://4nlls38qtw.fsf@lockgroove.bwh.harvard.edu

>> ps: or do something that would let gnus store its internal data in some
>> net-accessible way, like acap or ldap or dav or sql calls, but then
>> it'd also need to be able to steal locks from itself or else handle
>> the backend data in a concurrent-access fashion...
>>   feature for gnus 7 or 8? :)
>
> Isn't it possible to store some flags on the IMAP server?

Flags can be attached to messages, and one could theoretically create an
imap group in which to store the .newsrc* files, nov caches, etc., but
unless one changes gnus so as to be able to handle several
processes changing the data at once from different machines,
then creating the ability to network store the prefs makes it easy for
people to corrupt them by accidently running gnus from two different
locations simultaneously.

* Re: Gnus, IMAP and multiply clients
       [not found] <xtzisnhxsfc.fsf@dataman.informatik.uni-bremen.de>
@ 2003-09-25 15:23 ` Frank Schmitt
       [not found] ` <pan.2003.10.01.22.24.27.937390@mirror.to>
From: Frank Schmitt @ 2003-09-25 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andreas Büsching <crunchy@tzi.de> writes:

> This is the problematic situation: At my office I am using Gnus with the
> nnimap backend for mails. Everything is working fine, but when its time
> to go home I just let my Gnus were it is and ride home.

Perhaps saying 's' in group buffer before going home helps?

--
Did you ever realize how much text fits in eighty columns? If you now consider
that a signature usually consists of up to four lines, this gives you enough