* Re: reading the cfd-online-forum with Gnus
       [not found]   ` <87zn7eh8c2.fsf@tfdpc12.tfd.chalmers.se>
@ 2004-06-08  7:05     ` Svend Tollak Munkejord
       [not found]       ` <plop873c55vkhk.fsf@gnu-rox.org>
From: Svend Tollak Munkejord @ 2004-06-08  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Today, Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:

> Svend Tollak Munkejord <stm+direct_reply@bacchus.pvv.org> writes:
>
>> On 2004-06-06, Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>>> I want to read the cfd-online discussion forum
>>> (http://www.cfd-online.com/Forum/main.cgi) with Gnus.
>>
>> Oh yes, please. The web interface is a drag.
>>
>> I wrote to them about it a couple of years ago, and this is what
>> they replied:
>>
>>> The CFD Online discussion forums are only accessible through the
>>> web I'm afraid. Have you tested the different display options that
>>> are available? There are 14 different listing styles which you can
>>> choose from. To change style click on "Set Preferences" and select
>>> the style you want to test.  Your settings will be rememberd next
>>> time you return (if you have cookies enabled).
>>
>> :-\
>
> For what did you ask for? Changing it to a Mailinglist?

No, I wasn't quite that radical :-)

I asked if it was possible to access the CFD Online discussion forums
through a newsgroup or mailing list interface, and that I would like
to follow the discussions, but that I found the web interface
prohibitively awkward compared to that of a proper newsreader.

>> Please post any solutions you might find.
>
> I will do, but the problem is the lack of knowledge.

OK!

Regards,
--
Svend Tollak Munkejord

* Re: reading the cfd-online-forum with Gnus
       [not found]         ` <87smd5s0gi.fsf@tfdpc12.tfd.chalmers.se>
@ 2004-06-09 23:35           ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]             ` <87fz8txb8i.fsf@tfdpc12.tfd.chalmers.se>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2004-06-09 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On  9 jun 2004, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:

> I don't know to much about RSS feeds, but somehow I have to
> sell him the idea to offer RSS feeds for the readers. So what
> advantages does the website manager have when he offers a RSS
> feed? Is it just that Gnus-Reader can take a nice look at his
> page? Is it hard and time consuming to implement?

This is absolutely not time consuming according to my knowledge,
this can be done in less time that is took to tell :)

For the advantage, I will take my experience. I find it less
intrusive not to have to shoot a huge program to check if there
is anyting interesting to read about.

RSS is primarily to syndicate site between them. So offering a
RSS or RDF feed gives the opportunity to others to present part
of a site on another site. AFAIK, it is the primary goal at
RSS/RDF syndication.

There are plenty of advantages to offer a RSS to their readers.

--
  "GNU is my religion"

.O.  Xavier Maillard
..O   Reims - France
OOO  +33 6 68 04 64 37

@ 2004-08-22 12:16               ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2004-08-22 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Xavier Maillard <zedek@gnu-rox.org> writes:
>
>> On  9 jun 2004, Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
>>
>>> I don't know to much about RSS feeds, but somehow I have to
>>> sell him the idea to offer RSS feeds for the readers. So what
>>> advantages does the website manager have when he offers a RSS
>>> feed? Is it just that Gnus-Reader can take a nice look at his
>>> page? Is it hard and time consuming to implement?
>>
>> This is absolutely not time consuming according to my knowledge,
>> this can be done in less time that is took to tell :)
>>
>> For the advantage, I will take my experience. I find it less
>> intrusive not to have to shoot a huge program to check if there
>> is anyting interesting to read about.
>>
>> RSS is primarily to syndicate site between them. So offering a
>> RSS or RDF feed gives the opportunity to others to present part
>> of a site on another site. AFAIK, it is the primary goal at
>> RSS/RDF syndication.
>>
>> There are plenty of advantages to offer a RSS to their readers.
>>

> Thanks! I just mailed to the Webmaster. I'll tell you about it.

I forgot to tell you the response from the webmaster:

 "The discussion forums at CFD Online are run using webbbs
 (see http://awsd.com/scripts/webbbs/index.shtml). As far as
 I know there are no RSS interfaces for webbbs."

And this is the actually the problem, webbs doesn't have a RSS interface and
there are no plans to change the software right-now.
Maybe, anybody did a patch for webbs!?

Greetings!
--
Fabian Braennstroem