* ? How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org
@ 2007-06-18 14:42 thesak
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: thesak @ 2007-06-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org ?... It's not clear
what server or servers to try. It's not clear from the wording of the
text in the manual how to set up a server.

* Re: ? How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org
@ 2007-06-18 15:31 ` Mark T.B. Carroll
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2007-06-18 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org ?... It's not clear
> what server or servers to try. It's not clear from the wording of the
> text in the manual how to set up a server.

I don't quite understand the 'from fencepost.gnu.org' but maybe
(untested) something like this in .gnus.el will work ?

(setq gnus-select-method
      '(nntp "gnu" (nntp-address "whatever.gnu.org")))

I don't know - but googling for examples of use of gnus-select-method
and nntp might get you a little way.

Yes, the manual's pretty abysmal for learning from - I had to read the
thing a few times and take notes. But, hey, you get what you pay for.

-- Mark

* Re: ? How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org
@ 2007-06-18 15:45 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2007-06-18 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org ?... It's not clear
> what server or servers to try. It's not clear from the wording of the
> text in the manual how to set up a server.

Really?  If I visit (gnus) in Info, and pick the first highlighted
"Starting Gnus" link, and then pick the highlighted "Finding the News"
link, I see a very clear line on what to put into your .gnus file to
name a news server.  I guess this Info page doesn't specifically say
.gnus, but (a) putting it into .emacs will work fine too and (b) you've
been trying to set up Gnus for enough years now that I hope you've found
that config file by this point.

So if this text is unclear:

>    For instance, if the `news.somewhere.edu' NNTP server is where you
> want to get your daily dosage of news from, you'd say:
>
>      (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.somewhere.edu"))

maybe you could suggest some alternate wording?  At any rate, please go
through some effort to find basic answers yourself, especially when
they've been answered to you personally several times over the past
several years, and please ask a question only once on the newsgroup.

Thanks,

  --dzm

* Re: ? How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org
@ 2007-06-18 16:25 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-18 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 07:42:37 -0700, thesak wrote:

> How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org ?...

First I would ask an administrator what the address of the news server
on said network/machine is.

Then I would follow the manual.

> It's not clear what server or servers to try.

Perhaps not, but that is not a problem that the readers of this
newsgroup/mailinglist, Gnus nor the Gnus Manual can help you with.

You must seek assistance of a local administrator or the local
documentation of the computer services that you are using to find out
what the name of the relevant newsserver is.

If you can not locate such information, then you can use one of the
publicly available newsservers. Google can help you find those.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: ? How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-06-20  8:04 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2007-06-20  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> How would you set up gnus from fencepost.gnu.org ?... It's not clear
> what server or servers to try. It's not clear from the wording of the
> text in the manual how to set up a server.

You need to ask elsewhere to get names of newsservers, I think. Your
problem is not with Gnus; your problem is with not knowing the name of
a newsserver.

Cheers,

        - Joel