* What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for Esc-x gnus
@ 2007-06-18 12:07 thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-18 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for
Esc-x gnus

* Re: What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for Esc-x gnus
@ 2007-06-18 13:19 ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2007-06-18 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for
> Esc-x gnus

The ^ key from the group buffer seems to take me to the server buffer
which has the servers enumerated in it.

-- Mark

* Re: What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for Esc-x gnus
@ 2007-06-18 13:25   ` thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-18 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What key is that?... the upper case of the 6 key?, the command key?

@ 2007-06-18 13:45     ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2007-06-18 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 18, 9:19 am, m...@ixod.org (Mark T.B. Carroll) wrote:
>> thesak <don.sak...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for
>> > Esc-x gnus
>>
>> The ^ key from the group buffer seems to take me to the server buffer
>> which has the servers enumerated in it.
>
> What key is that?... the upper case of the 6 key?, the command key?

Er, whatever key makes a '^'. It depends on your keyboard layout. On
mine I do indeed press shift-6 to get it, but YMMV. Couldn't you have
just tried it? I'm sorry if I'm missing something here.

-- Mark

* Re: What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for Esc-x gnus
@ 2007-06-18 13:48 ` Adam Sjøgren
From: Adam Sjøgren @ 2007-06-18 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 05:07:42 -0700, thesak wrote:

> What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for
> Esc-x gnus

^ in the *Group* buffer takes you to the *Server* buffer.

If you look in the manual, the second node - after "Starting Gnus" - is
about how to make Gnus get news:

 <http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_2.html#SEC2>

  Best regards,

     Adam

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk

* Re: What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for Esc-x gnus
@ 2007-06-18 14:28       ` Don Saklad
From: Don Saklad @ 2007-06-18 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Here's the result of a tap of the ^ key...

@ 2007-06-18 15:26         ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2007-06-18 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Don Saklad <dsaklad@nestle.csail.mit.edu> writes:

>      >      {nnfolder:archive} (closed)
>      >      {nntp:news} (opened)

Wow, that's unhelpful. (I seem to have named mine rather better, but
didn't realise I'd done so manually!) I'm surprised that none of the
'Server' menu options seem helpful - at least, none of mine will even
reveal the hostname of the server! The server buffer seems to be less
helpful than I'd first thought; sorry. ):

Maybe netstat could help? (-:

-- Mark

* Re: What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for Esc-x gnus
@ 2007-06-18 16:24   ` thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-18 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Thank you folks!

Regrettably, what servers would be best to use from fencepost.gnu.org
and what to insert in the expression
(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.somewhere.edu"))
isn't clear.

* Re: What commands are there to determine what news server is used?... for Esc-x gnus
@ 2007-06-20  8:01     ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2007-06-20  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> Regrettably, what servers would be best to use from fencepost.gnu.org
> and what to insert in the expression
> (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.somewhere.edu"))
> isn't clear.

Any newsserver you have access to will work, assuming outgoing nntp
connections from fencepost.gnu.org aren't blocked.

You might need to ask somewhere else to get newsserver
suggestions. This newsgroup is specifically for Gnus, the software,
not for reading news in general.

Cheers,

        - Joel