* nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-14 11:29 thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-14 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Would you know what's going on?... when from fencepost.gnu.org
attempting to read newsgroups with gnus doesn't work.
It reports
nntp read: 14535k
then
nntp read: 16839k
then
nntp read: 17748k
and that number increasing apparently not ending, not stopping.

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-14 11:48 ` Slackrat
From: Slackrat @ 2007-06-14 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> Would you know what's going on?... when from fencepost.gnu.org
> attempting to read newsgroups with gnus doesn't work.
> It reports
> nntp read: 14535k
> then
> nntp read: 16839k
> then
> nntp read: 17748k
> and that number increasing apparently not ending, not stopping.

Maybe refreshing the Group List?

--
Slackrat

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-14 12:04   ` thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-14 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What is "refreshing"?...

On Jun 14, 7:48 am, Slackrat <slackra...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> thesak <don.sak...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Would you know what's going on?... when from fencepost.gnu.org
> > attempting to read newsgroups with gnus doesn't work.
> > It reports
> > nntp read: 14535k
> > then
> > nntp read: 16839k
> > then
> > nntp read: 17748k
> > and that number increasing apparently not ending, not stopping.
>
> Maybe refreshing the Group List?
>
> --
> Slackrat

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-14 14:41     ` Slackrat
From: Slackrat @ 2007-06-14 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> What is "refreshing"?...

I was wondering if you were refreshing the master Group list ot
possibly threading posts in a large group

possibly try this in your .gnus file

;; Don't request the entire active file from the server
(setq gnus-read-active-file nil)
(setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
(setq gnus-check-bogus-newsgroups nil)
(setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

--
SlackRat - No 4Q to Reply

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-14 20:01       ` thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-14 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

What does it mean?... (setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

On Jun 14, 10:41 am, Slackrat <slackra...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> thesak <don.sak...@gmail.com> writes:
> > What is "refreshing"?...
>
> I was wondering if you were refreshing the master Group list ot
> possibly threading posts in a large group
>
> possibly try this in your .gnus file
>
> ;; Don't request the entire active file from the server
> (setq gnus-read-active-file nil)
> (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
> (setq gnus-check-bogus-newsgroups nil)
> (setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
>
> --
> SlackRat - No 4Q to Reply

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-15  4:01         ` Slackrat
From: Slackrat @ 2007-06-15  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> What does it mean?... (setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
>
> On Jun 14, 10:41 am, Slackrat <slackra...@azurservers.com> wrote:
>> thesak <don.sak...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > What is "refreshing"?...
>>
>> I was wondering if you were refreshing the master Group list ot
>> possibly threading posts in a large group
>>
>> possibly try this in your .gnus file
>>
>> ;; Don't request the entire active file from the server
>> (setq gnus-read-active-file nil)
>> (setq gnus-check-new-newsgroups nil)
>> (setq gnus-check-bogus-newsgroups nil)
>> (setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
>>
>> --
>> SlackRat - No 4Q to Reply

My first inclination is to tell you to Fuck Off

However, I'll be nice

--
SlackRat - No 4Q to Reply

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-20  7:53 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2007-06-20  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> Would you know what's going on?... when from fencepost.gnu.org
> attempting to read newsgroups with gnus doesn't work.
> It reports
> nntp read: 14535k
> then
> nntp read: 16839k
> then
> nntp read: 17748k
> and that number increasing apparently not ending, not stopping.

It will stop eventually. If you want to know roughly how long, you'll
have to describe what you did because it will depend on what's
downloading. The phrase "read newsgroups" means nothing; it doesn't
say what's being downloaded.

Cheers,

        - Joel

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-21 13:00         ` Gernot Hassenpflug
From: Gernot Hassenpflug @ 2007-06-21 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> What does it mean?... (setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)

I'll jump in since I still have some patience left.

0. Before anything else, don't top-post. I don't care if you know why
   or not, but if you don't know you should read about it by searching
   the web a little. Obviously you have no idea was discussion groups
   on Usenet are or how to use them.

1. Find an online computer jargon dictionary and read about "The
   September that never ended".

2. Go to the Help menu in Emacs and find the tutorial entry. Then do
   the tutorial, every bit of it. Should take a few days and leave you
   much enlightened.

3. Then, go to the info (C-h i) and find the gnus entry in the
   menu. Start at page one, and continue reading until you have
   absorbed the sections on how to start gnus, how to set it up, how
   to obtain news, various backends and the variables that control
   them, and how to manage news and mail groups.

4. Search for Eric Raymond's article on how to ask smart questions.
--
Grrr!!  ...Pick a reason...

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-22 15:51           ` Mark T.B. Carroll
From: Mark T.B. Carroll @ 2007-06-22 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2007-06-23  1:58             ` thesak
From: thesak @ 2007-06-23  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Jun 22, 11:51 am, m...@ixod.org (Mark T.B. Carroll) wrote:
> Gernot Hassenpflug <ger...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > 4. Search for Eric Raymond's article on how to ask smart questions.

How To Answer Questions in a Helpful Way

Be gentle. Problem-related stress can make people seem rude or stupid
even when they're not.

Reply to a first offender off-line. There is no need of public
humiliation for someone who may have made an honest mistake. A real
newbie may not know how to search archives or where the FAQ is stored
or posted.

If you don't know for sure, say so! A wrong but authoritative-sounding
answer is worse than none at all. Don't point anyone down a wrong path
simply because it's fun to sound like an expert. Be humble and honest;
set a good example for both the querent and your peers.

If you can't help, don't hinder. Don't make jokes about procedures
that could trash the user's setup - the poor sap might interpret these
as instructions.

Ask probing questions to elicit more details. If you're good at this,
the querent will learn something - and so might you. Try to turn the
bad question into a good one; remember we were all newbies once.

While just muttering RTFM is sometimes justified when replying to
someone who is just a lazy slob, a pointer to documentation (even if
it's just a suggestion to google for a key phrase) is better.

If you're going to answer the question at all, give good value. Don't
suggest kludgy workarounds when somebody is using the wrong tool or
approach. Suggest good tools. Reframe the question.

Help your community learn from the question. When you field a good
question, ask yourself "How would the relevant documentation or FAQ
have to change so that nobody has to answer this again?" Then send a
patch to the document maintainer.

If you did research to answer the question, demonstrate your skills
rather than writing as though you pulled the answer out of your butt.
Answering one good question is like feeding a hungry person one meal,
but teaching them research skills by example is teaching them to grow
food for a lifetime.

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-23 13:43               ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2007-06-23 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jun 22, 11:51 am, m...@ixod.org (Mark T.B. Carroll) wrote:
> > Gernot Hassenpflug <ger...@yahoo.com> writes:
> > > 4. Search for Eric Raymond's article on how to ask smart questions.

> How To Answer Questions in a Helpful Way
>
> Be gentle. Problem-related stress can make people seem rude or stupid
> even when they're not.

I've seen very few ungentle answers to you.

> Reply to a first offender off-line. There is no need of public
> humiliation for someone who may have made an honest mistake. A real
> newbie may not know how to search archives or where the FAQ is stored
> or posted.

You are not a newbie and certainly not a first offender. The vast
majority of people are answering you in good faith, and as far as I
can tell you are simply ignoring the best answers.

        - Joel

* Re: nntp read: 14535k
@ 2007-06-27 22:42           ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-06-27 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Gernot Hassenpflug <gernot@yahoo.com> writes:

> thesak <don.saklad@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What does it mean?... (setq gnus-nov-is-evil nil)
>
> I'll jump in since I still have some patience left.
>
> 0. Before anything else, don't top-post. I don't care if you know why
>    or not, but if you don't know you should read about it by searching
>    the web a little. Obviously you have no idea was discussion groups
>    on Usenet are or how to use them.
>
> 1. Find an online computer jargon dictionary and read about "The
>    September that never ended".
>
> 2. Go to the Help menu in Emacs and find the tutorial entry. Then do
>    the tutorial, every bit of it. Should take a few days and leave you
>    much enlightened.
>
> 3. Then, go to the info (C-h i) and find the gnus entry in the
>    menu. Start at page one, and continue reading until you have
>    absorbed the sections on how to start gnus, how to set it up, how
>    to obtain news, various backends and the variables that control
>    them, and how to manage news and mail groups.
>
> 4. Search for Eric Raymond's article on how to ask smart questions.

You might want to refer to a how to on being a little more accommodating
and polite in your own replies.

Telling someone to read and retain the entire Gnus manual pretty much
removes the need for this and similar groups.