* Re: How to get a reference to a mail to come back to it ?
       [not found] <s02ptfi89n3.fsf@wasabi.inria.fr>
@ 2003-11-24 19:23 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2003-11-24 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 24 Nov 2003, francois.fleuret@inria.fr wrote:

> I was wondering if there is a way to get a reference to a mail (no
> idea what this could be, filename, Xref, whatever ?) so that one
> could come back to it later.

As content, you can use the message ID.  As actual data stored, you
can use the group name and article number.  It depends on what you
need.

> Thus, I'd need two functions, one get-mail-reference, which can be
> called either in summary or article mode and returns an object
> standing for the mail reference. And the second one
> go-to-mail-reference which switches to the mail whose reference is
> given in parameter and setups the article mode on it.

Well, if you have the article number and group name, it's very easy to
get the articles with the built-in Gnus functions.  With the message
ID only, you could use the gnus-registry to remember the group and
number of the article, and then retrieve them appropriately.

Hope that helps...

Ted

* Re: How to get a reference to a mail to come back to it ?
@ 2003-11-24 20:04   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-11-24 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Nov 24 2003, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> Well, if you have the article number and group name, it's very easy to
> get the articles with the built-in Gnus functions.  With the message
> ID only, you could use the gnus-registry to remember the group and
> number of the article, and then retrieve them appropriately.

With `nnml', `nnmaildir', `nnmbox', and `nnbabyl', retrieving an
article by Message-ID using `gnus-refer-article-method' is also
possible.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: How to get a reference to a mail to come back to it ?
@ 2003-11-26  8:41     ` François Fleuret
From: François Fleuret @ 2003-11-26  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Reiner Steib wrote on 24 Nov 2003 21:04:39 MET:

> With `nnml', `nnmaildir', `nnmbox', and `nnbabyl', retrieving an
> article by Message-ID using `gnus-refer-article-method' is also
> possible.

I'm sorry but I still don't see neither the canonical way to get the
Message-ID nor the way to get the message from its ID. It'd be great
if it worked for both mails and newgroups but mails alone would be ok.

Regards,

--
François Fleuret

IMEDIA Research Group                            Tel +33 1 39 63 55 83
INRIA, France                                    Fax +33 1 39 63 59 95