* is this a gnus error? gnus crashes XEmacs
@ 2004-08-17 14:19 Josef Oswald
       [not found] ` <86y8kdx0d4.fsf@mendel.genehack.org>
       [not found] ` <v9hdr1wyr6.fsf@marauder.physik.uni-ulm.de>
From: Josef Oswald @ 2004-08-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well don't know where to start to search for the solution to this
problem: Gnus crashes XEmacs when I want to post, reply or follow-up to
a message in news-groups.

Fatal error: assertion failed, file xlwtabs.c, line 1997, *reply_width > 0 && *reply_height > 0

Fatal error (6).

but this is not all the whole screen is full with messages ( when I
start XEmacs in a terminal.

Josef Oswald also -> gnus@chello.at  :-)
--
Gnus gives you all the opportunity you could possibly want for
shooting yourself in the foot.

* Re: is this a gnus error? gnus crashes XEmacs
       [not found] ` <86y8kdx0d4.fsf@mendel.genehack.org>
@ 2004-08-17 17:07   ` Josef Oswald
From: Josef Oswald @ 2004-08-17 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

John S J Anderson <usenet@genehack.org> writes:

> Josef Oswald <NO.SPAM.for.gnus@chello.at> writes:
>
>> Well don't know where to start to search for the solution to this
>> problem: Gnus crashes XEmacs when I want to post, reply or follow-up to
>> a message in news-groups.
>
>   I see a crash when replying or following-up on a message (mail or
>   news), but only after I have used a gnuclient instance. Before that,
>   everything works fine. Have you been using gnuclient?

I am sorry I don't really know what you mean.

OK I switched to emacs and gnus, _after_ gnus in XEmacs started to
crash. It happens (here) with the unstable as well as the stable
gnus-versions.

And yes I often try to use emacs and XEmacs....

How can I find out that I used ( or am using)  gnuclient ?

the only thing I found in ~/.xemacs/init.el

 '(gnuserv-program (concat exec-directory "/gnuserv"))

> john.

thanks for any pointers :-)

@ 2004-08-19 19:08   ` Josef Oswald
From: Josef Oswald @ 2004-08-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 17 2004, Josef Oswald wrote:
>
>> Well don't know where to start to search for the solution to this
>> problem: Gnus crashes XEmacs when I want to post, reply or follow-up to
>> a message in news-groups.
>
> Gnus should not be able to crash (X)Emacs[1].  Report it to the XEmacs
> people using `M-x report-emacs-bug RET', please.

Well after I got a automatic reply telling me that until the 30. of
August I need to wait, I figured to install a _Beta_ version of
XEmacs. ( 21.5.b17)

All I need is a editor with printing capabilities and being able to post
and respond to news-group messages this Beta version does seem to work
alright.

> Bye, Reiner.
>
> [1] But Gnus is well known as a tool for finding bugs in (X)Emacs. :-)

Thanks for pointing that out :-)