* Re: Customization file for gnus where is it?
       [not found] <pan.2003.11.28.19.09.35.404092@chello.at>
@ 2003-11-28 19:19 ` Tim McNamara
       [not found]   ` <sweet.nirwana_ism2zneg9ji4.fsf@home_at>
From: Tim McNamara @ 2003-11-28 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oswald josef <oswald@chello.at> writes:

> Hi :-)
>
> Well for some reasons I had to install a new Linux-distribution on
> my PC.  After transfering the directtories: ~/gnus, Mail, News, as
> well as .xemacs I found that when I start the new gnus in the new
> installation I need to configure und subscribe to _all_ groups
> _again_.  I am _certain_ that this would not be neccesary, if I just
> could find and copy the correct file to the new installtion.

Did you transfer your .emacs, .gnus, .newsrc and .newsrc.eld files
from your home directory?

* Re: Customization file for gnus where is it?
       [not found]       ` <m2ptfb9ncp.fsf@bitstream.net>
@ 2003-11-29 22:26         ` Josef Oswald
From: Josef Oswald @ 2003-11-29 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Josef Oswald <NO.SPAM.for.gnus@chello.at> writes:
>
>> actually this was not correct, some configuration was still missing,
>> but Tim got me _looking_ on the right track and I found one more
>> file I had to copy: nesrc.news.my.provider.eld.
>>
>> One would think that gnus does keep those configurations ( since no
>> other news-reader uses them) in its own customization
>> file.... Anyway
>
> .newsrc.eld is a file unique to Gnus- other newsreaders don't use it.
> .newsrc is a common file for newsreaders to use.  Watch the minibuffer
> as Gnus loads- it reads .newsrc.eld rather than .newsrc.

Yeah but a lot of the infos is stored in the
_newsrc.news.my.provider.eld_, a file I never paid close attention when
I was looking for the custom settings. In any case now it really back
to normal ( at least with Gnus) but I can't get XEmacs running on this
machine, ( and even in Debian stable it seems the package is broken, a
attemt to configure a new one failed miserably ....)

And in this X-environment I don't get the key to produce "@" ....sorry
If I bothered you with this _non_ gnus problems...

Thanks for your help nontheless :-)

Josef Oswald also -> gnus@chello.at  :-)
--
Gnus gives you all the opportunity you could possibly want for
shooting yourself in the foot.