* Hiding deleted items from Summary buffer
@ 2005-05-03 10:20 Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2005-05-03 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

After many unsuccessful attempts, I'm deciding to ask you the
question, ie. trying to help me to remove the deleted items from
the Summary buffer view.

I've tried setting everything I could possibly imagine (playing
with the expiry function, moving articles to a "Trash" group,
etc.) but I do know what I'm not doing correctly...

My goal is that if I'm deleting one mail, I do not see it again
the next time I come back to that summary buffer. What can I do
to achieve that?

Many thanks,
  Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: Hiding deleted items from Summary buffer
@ 2005-05-03 14:10 ` David Z Maze
From: David Z Maze @ 2005-05-03 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Vauban <ewgeocaufsfb@spammotel.com> writes:

> After many unsuccessful attempts, I'm deciding to ask you the
> question, ie. trying to help me to remove the deleted items from
> the Summary buffer view.

'x' from the summary buffer looks like it should trim the summary
buffer to only unread articles; read, deleted, expirable,
etc. articles should go away.

> I've tried setting everything I could possibly imagine (playing
> with the expiry function, moving articles to a "Trash" group,
> etc.) but I do know what I'm not doing correctly...
>
> My goal is that if I'm deleting one mail, I do not see it again
> the next time I come back to that summary buffer. What can I do
> to achieve that?

How are you deleting the articles?  Which backend?  Using both nnml
and nnimap, if I delete or move an article away with 'B DEL' or 'B m',
respectively, the article is gone the next time I come back into the
group.  Explicitly expirable articles are treated as "read" so I don't
see them again unless there are no read or ticked articles or I use
C-u RET to erter the group.

  --dzm

* Re: Hiding deleted items from Summary buffer
@ 2005-05-06  1:52 ` Sarir Khamsi
From: Sarir Khamsi @ 2005-05-06  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sébastien Vauban <ewgeocaufsfb@spammotel.com> writes:

> My goal is that if I'm deleting one mail, I do not see it again
> the next time I come back to that summary buffer. What can I do
> to achieve that?

What I do is 'B <backspace>' in the Summary buffer (reading mail w/
IMAP). The online help is as follows:

,----
| B <backspace> runs the command gnus-summary-delete-article
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-sum'.
| (gnus-summary-delete-article &optional N)
|
| Delete the N next (mail) articles.
| This command actually deletes articles.	 This is not a marking
| command.  The article will disappear forever from your life, never to
| return.
|
| If N is negative, delete backwards.
| If N is nil and articles have been marked with the process mark,
| delete these instead.
|
| If `gnus-novice-user' is non-nil you will be asked for
| confirmation before the articles are deleted.

`----

It doesn't seem to actually get rid of the message but I don't see it
in the Summary buffer any more (unless I do a "/ o", or some such). HTH.

Sarir

* Re: Hiding deleted items from Summary buffer
@ 2005-05-13 13:28   ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2005-05-13 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

Sorry for my late answer, but I have no NNTP access from the
places where I was these last days...

> > My goal is that if I'm deleting one mail, I do not see it
> > again the next time I come back to that summary buffer. What
> > can I do to achieve that?
>
> What I do is 'B <backspace>' in the Summary buffer (reading
> mail w/ IMAP).
> It doesn't seem to actually get rid of the message but I don't
> see it in the Summary buffer any more (unless I do a "/ o", or
> some such).

That's what I do not want: even doing "/ o", I'd like not to see
the deleted items, but just the old ones (read that I
keep)... not the read mails I do not keep.

How's that possible?

Many thanks for your pieces of advice,
  Seb

--