* Reassigning the tab key in topic mode
@ 2003-02-10 14:49 Jeffery B. Rancier
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-02-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm trying to reassign the function of the tab key while in topic mode
in the group buffer (without any luck).  Here what I have added to my
~/.gnus:

(defun jbr-gnus-topic-mode-hook()
  (local-set-key [tab] 'gnus-group-next-unread-group)
  (jbr-pause-message "Set TAB key to gnus-group-next-unread-group" ))

(add-hook 'gnus-topic-mode-hook 'jbr-gnus-topic-mode-hook)

Evaluating the above code, restarting Gnus, appears to have no effect
on this:

,----
| <tab> runs the command gnus-topic-indent
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `gnus-topic'.
| (gnus-topic-indent &optional UNINDENT)
|
| Indent a topic -- make it a sub-topic of the previous topic.
| If UNINDENT, remove an indentation.
`----

Can I assume that the tab key is assigned after the
gnus-topic-mode-hook is run?  Should I set this to global?  Or is is
that when my function is run, I'm not in the group buffer yet?
--

Thanks,
Jeff
| Jeffery B. Rancier
|
| Softechnics
| a METTLER TOLEDO company
`----

* Re: Reassigning the tab key in topic mode
@ 2003-02-10 16:00 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-10 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder whether topic mode is a minor mode and local-set-key binds
the key in the major mode map?

Try (define-key gnus-topic-mode-map ...) -- does it help?
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: Reassigning the tab key in topic mode
@ 2003-02-10 20:55   ` Jeffery B. Rancier
From: Jeffery B. Rancier @ 2003-02-10 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > Try (define-key gnus-topic-mode-map ...) -- does it help?

(defun jbr-gnus-topic-mode-hook()
  (define-key gnus-topic-mode-map [tab] 'gnus-group-next-unread-group)
  (define-key gnus-topic-mode-map [S-tab] 'gnus-group-prev-unread-group)
  (jbr-pause-message "Set TAB key to gnus-group-next-unread-group" )
  (jbr-pause-message "Set S-TAB key to gnus-group-prev-unread-group" ))

(add-hook 'gnus-topic-mode-hook 'jbr-gnus-topic-mode-hook)

That did it, no move moving Topics for me! Thanks Kai!

--

Thanks,
Jeff

`----