* Re: gnumapi
       [not found] <uad9bq7uk.fsf@facilitatedsystems.com>
@ 2003-09-11 23:36 ` Matthias Rempe
       [not found]   ` <uvfrxsv5h.fsf@facilitatedsystems.com>
From: Matthias Rempe @ 2003-09-11 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill,

    BH> Has anyone used this yet?  Have there been problems?  I'm

I'v tested GnuMapi for about a year without problems. Syver improved
the program but hasn't released the new version. However, I've got
his permission to publish an intermediate release.

    BH> thinking of trying it, but I'll at least have to modify the
    BH> registry file first to tell it where I put the DLL.  Were
    BH> there other bits people have needed to modify?

Look at my website http://www.rempe-online.de/emacs/ and you will find
some remarks and hints on installation.

--
Matthias

* Re: gnumapi
@ 2003-09-12 21:07   ` Bill Harris
       [not found]   ` <uvfrxsv5h.fsf@facilitatedsystems.com>
From: Bill Harris @ 2003-09-12 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthias Rempe <mhrempe@web.de> writes:

> Look at my website http://www.rempe-online.de/emacs/ and you will find
> some remarks and hints on installation.

Thanks.  I did it -- almost, and thus I'm asking for a bit of help.

First, I finally installed gnuclient on this XP machine.  I tested it,
and it works:

  gnuclientw gsview32.ini

does as expected -- connects to the running emacs and opens the file for
editing.

Then I put GnuMapi.dll in c:/Program Files/ and gnu-mapi.elc in
site-lisp.  I added (require 'gnu-mapi) in my .emacs.  I set the mail
and notes programs to gnus in IE 6.  I edited gnus.reg to point to the
new dll location, and I executed it.  Just for good measure, I restarted
emacs and IE (well, I didn't at first, but I did when my first try
failed).

When I click on a mailto: URL (e.g., at the bottom of
http://facilitatedsystems.com/), I get a window from IE that says "Could
not perform this operation because the default mail client is not
properly installed."

Any thoughts?

Bill
--
Bill Harris                                  3217 102nd Place SE
Facilitated Systems                          Everett, WA 98208 USA

* Re: gnumapi
       [not found]     ` <pti5vgb7.fsf@yahoo.co.uk>
@ 2003-09-12 22:45       ` Matthias Rempe
From: Matthias Rempe @ 2003-09-12 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

    PM> Bill Harris <bill_harris@facilitatedsystems.com> writes:
    >> Thanks!  That looks relatively straightforward.  I just need to
    >> remember where Windows finds DLLs and then take a few minutes
    >> to make it happen.

    PM> You can actually just configure the action for the mailto:
    PM> URL. In Windows XP, open Explorer. Choose Tools/Folder
    PM> Options. Select the "File Types" tab, and search for the
    PM> "URL:MailTo Protocol" entry.  Click on "Advanced", and edit
    PM> the "open" action.

A similar approach is possible for Gnu Emacs, too. And in fact, just
to be able to call Emacs as action for "mailto:" in your browser you
wouldn't need GnuMAPI.

However, GnuMAPI gives you the possibility to send files with Emacs
directly from the application with that you are working on that
file. For example, when you have opened a file in Word you can use the
"File/Send to/Mail recipient (as Attachment) [sorry for maybe bad
translation, I have just a Word with German menu available]" menu
entry and Emacs is invoked with a new message window with that file
attached.

This works for all Windows applications that offer a "File/Send" or
"File/Send to" menu entry.

--
Matthias