* Re: BSOD on WinXP?
       [not found] <llkiun76.fsf@therogoffs.com>
@ 2004-04-27  7:20 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-04-27  7:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 27 2004, David Rogoff wrote:

> I'm running gnus v5.10.2 in xemacs 21.4.13 under WinXP Pro on a
> Gateway 9300CX laptop (PIII 650, 544MB RAM).  I've been using gnus and
> xemacs for years without problem.  However, for months now (since
> installing WinXP) gnus has been crashing my PC about once or twice a
> week. It always seems to be when I hit g (gnus-group-get-new-news).  I
> get a quick Blue Screen and then the PC reboots.

Lisp code like Gnus should never crash (X)Emacs.  If it does, it is a
bug in (X)Emacs.  Please report the bug to the XEmacs folks (`M-x
report-xemacs-bug RET').

In fact, Gnus is well know for disclosing (X)Emacs bugs.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: BSOD on WinXP?
@ 2004-04-28  1:07   ` David Rogoff
From: David Rogoff @ 2004-04-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 27 2004, David Rogoff wrote:
>
>> I'm running gnus v5.10.2 in xemacs 21.4.13 under WinXP Pro on a
>> Gateway 9300CX laptop (PIII 650, 544MB RAM).  I've been using gnus and
>> xemacs for years without problem.  However, for months now (since
>> installing WinXP) gnus has been crashing my PC about once or twice a
>> week. It always seems to be when I hit g (gnus-group-get-new-news).  I
>> get a quick Blue Screen and then the PC reboots.
>
> Lisp code like Gnus should never crash (X)Emacs.  If it does, it is a
> bug in (X)Emacs.  Please report the bug to the XEmacs folks (`M-x
> report-xemacs-bug RET').
>
> In fact, Gnus is well know for disclosing (X)Emacs bugs.

Well, as I wrote, it isn't crashing xemacs - it's crashing Windows.  I
agree that Lisp isn't doing it, but some program exec-ed by something
gnus-group-get-new-news does is.  I was looking for some pointers as
to what executable that might be.

 David

* Re: BSOD on WinXP?
@ 2004-04-28  7:10   ` Stephen Powell
From: Stephen Powell @ 2004-04-28  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, 4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de wrote:

On Tue, Apr 27 2004, David Rogoff wrote:

>> However, for months now
>> (since installing WinXP) gnus has been crashing my PC about once or
>> twice a week. It always seems to be when I hit g
>> (gnus-group-get-new-news).  I get a quick Blue Screen and then the
>> PC reboots.
>
> Lisp code like Gnus should never crash (X)Emacs.

User code should never crash windows¹. Perhaps the user should check
for a faulty device driver or similar operating system problem that
gnus is triggering. Are there any other programs that cause this
problem?

I think from the user's point of view what happens is "I run program x,
the system blue screens, therefore program x is the problem".

> From my point of view what happens is "I run program x, program x
calls device driver y to do something (write to the screen, access the
network ... whatever), device driver y has a problem and blue screens
the system, therefore device driver y is the problem".

Anyway it's not a problem with gnus and therefore not a problem for
this group.

Footnotes:
¹ HA! HA! funny joke I hear you say.
--