* Re: Gnus plugged/unplugged error
       [not found] <lzu12avfrk.fsf@anthea.home.int>
@ 2004-02-02  4:13 ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-02-02  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miroslav Zubcic <miroslav.zubcic@zesoi.fer.hr> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I'm using Gnus 5.10.6 on XEmacs 21.4.14 compiled with mule support.
> I have 3 imap accounts and using gnus agent feature to have
> disconeccted IMAP capability.
>
> The problem is: when I try to enter on/off-line with `J-j' I get
> "Group: " prompt in minibuffer, just like if I pressed small letter
> `j' in the group buffer. Typing `gnus-agent-toggle-group-plugged'
> directly works, but the I get error entering any IMAP group - every
> *second* time. For example: enter to nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX works,
> get out, try again - trace, try again - works etc ...

Thanks for the configuration.  However, I'm going to need a little
more information.

Start gnus, trigger the error to make sure that it is still
repeatable, then do the following.

M-x load-library<RET>nnagent.el<RET>

Finally, trigger the error again then post the new debug-on-error
info.

By loading the lisp (.el) file rather than the compiled file (.elc),
the stack trace will provide specific information about the statements
that are causing the recursion.

Kevin

* Re: Gnus plugged/unplugged error
@ 2004-02-02 20:44   ` Miroslav Zubcic
From: Miroslav Zubcic @ 2004-02-02 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:

> Miroslav Zubcic <miroslav.zubcic@zesoi.fer.hr> writes:

>> The problem is: when I try to enter on/off-line with `J-j' I get
>> "Group: " prompt in minibuffer, just like if I pressed small letter
>> `j' in the group buffer. Typing `gnus-agent-toggle-group-plugged'
>> directly works, but the I get error entering any IMAP group - every
>> *second* time. For example: enter to nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX works,
>> get out, try again - trace, try again - works etc ...

> Thanks for the configuration.  However, I'm going to need a little
> more information.

Just some info: bug is repeatable only when IMAP server is
unplugged. When online, gnus is executing starttls, and I can enter
several times in and out without problem.

In unplugged mode, when I get an error, I can also see summary buffer
opened (but empty) in some new (but background) tab.

> Start gnus, trigger the error to make sure that it is still
> repeatable, then do the following.

Yes, it is repeatable - every *second* time I enter the imap group.

> M-x load-library<RET>nnagent.el<RET>
>
> Finally, trigger the error again then post the new debug-on-error
> info.
>
> By loading the lisp (.el) file rather than the compiled file (.elc),
> the stack trace will provide specific information about the statements
> that are causing the recursion.

Thanks for debugging hint! Here is the output: (long lines are
splitted with `\' on the last line before it)

Signaling: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds `max-lisp-eval-depth'")
  gnus-online((nnimap "mail.foo.com" (nnimap-address "mail.foo.com") \
(nnimap-stream starttls)))
  gnus-agent-get-function((nnimap "mail.foo.com" (nnimap-address \
  "mail.foo.com") (nnimap-stream starttls)))
  gnus-get-function((nnimap "mail.foo.com" (nnimap-address \
"mail.foo.com") (nnimap-stream starttls)) request-type)
  (funcall (gnus-get-function gnus-command-method (quote
  request-type)) (gnus-group-real-name group) article) \
(if (not (gnus-check-backend-function ... ...)) (quote unknown) \
(funcall (gnus-get-function gnus-command-method ...) \
(gnus-group-real-name group) article))
  (let ((gnus-plugged t)) (if (not ...) (quote unknown) (funcall ... ... article)))
  (if (stringp article) nil (let (...) (if ... ... ...)))
  (unless (stringp article) (let (...) (if ... ... ...)))
  nnagent-request-type("INBOX" nil)
  funcall(nnagent-request-type "INBOX" nil)
(if (not (gnus-check-backend-function ... ...)) (quote unknown) \
(funcall (gnus-get-function gnus-command-method ...) \
(gnus-group-real-name group) article))
  (let ((gnus-plugged t)) (if (not ...) (quote unknown) (funcall ... ... article)))
  (if (stringp article) nil (let (...) (if ... ... ...)))
  (unless (stringp article) (let (...) (if ... ... ...)))
  nnagent-request-type("INBOX" nil)
  funcall(nnagent-request-type "INBOX" nil)
  (if (not (gnus-check-backend-function ... ...)) (quote unknown) \
(funcall (gnus-get-function gnus-command-method ...) \
(gnus-group-real-name group) article))

  [ LONG LONG REPEATING SNIPPED ]

  nnagent-request-type("INBOX" nil)
  gnus-request-type("nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX")
  gnus-news-group-p("nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX")
  gnus-xmas-setup-summary-toolbar()
  run-hooks(gnus-xmas-setup-summary-toolbar)
  apply(run-hooks gnus-xmas-setup-summary-toolbar)
  gnus-run-hooks(gnus-summary-mode-hook)
  gnus-summary-mode("nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX")
  gnus-summary-setup-buffer("nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX")
  gnus-summary-read-group-1("nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX" nil t nil nil nil)
  gnus-summary-read-group("nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX" nil t nil nil nil nil)
  gnus-group-read-group(nil t)
  gnus-group-select-group(nil)
  gnus-topic-select-group(nil)
  call-interactively(gnus-topic-select-group)

		The Network is the Filesystem.

* Re: Gnus plugged/unplugged error
@ 2004-02-04  5:03     ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2004-02-04  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Miroslav Zubcic <miroslav.zubcic@zesoi.fer.hr> writes:

> Kevin Greiner <kgreiner@xpediantsolutions.com> writes:
>
>> Miroslav Zubcic <miroslav.zubcic@zesoi.fer.hr> writes:
>
>>> The problem is: when I try to enter on/off-line with `J-j' I get
>>> "Group: " prompt in minibuffer, just like if I pressed small letter
>>> `j' in the group buffer. Typing `gnus-agent-toggle-group-plugged'
>>> directly works, but the I get error entering any IMAP group - every
>>> *second* time. For example: enter to nnimap+mail.foo.com:INBOX works,
>>> get out, try again - trace, try again - works etc ...
>
>> Thanks for the configuration.  However, I'm going to need a little
>> more information.
>
> Just some info: bug is repeatable only when IMAP server is
> unplugged. When online, gnus is executing starttls, and I can enter
> several times in and out without problem.
>
> In unplugged mode, when I get an error, I can also see summary buffer
> opened (but empty) in some new (but background) tab.
>
>> Start gnus, trigger the error to make sure that it is still
>> repeatable, then do the following.
>
> Yes, it is repeatable - every *second* time I enter the imap group.
>
>> M-x load-library<RET>nnagent.el<RET>
>>
>> Finally, trigger the error again then post the new debug-on-error
>> info.
>>
>> By loading the lisp (.el) file rather than the compiled file (.elc),
>> the stack trace will provide specific information about the statements
>> that are causing the recursion.

Miroslav,
I'm sorry but I'm unable to isolate the error.  I suspect that it is
related to the variable gnus-server-method-cache but can't be sure.

If you don't mind, I'd like you to try something for me.  First,
evaluate this form:

(defun kjg ()
(let (print-level print-length)
(pp gnus-server-method-cache)))

Now, I'd like you to open an imap group.  I'd like you to eval the kjg
function when you expect to successfully open the group and again when
you expect it to fail.  I suspect that the value of
gnus-server-method-cache is changing, if so, I'd like you to send me
both copies.

At that point, I'll probably be able to instrument some functions such
that you can detect which call is corrupting gnus-server-method-cache.

Kevin