* Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved?
@ 2008-06-21 18:10 Memnon Anon
       [not found] ` <mailman.13739.1214227809.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Memnon Anon @ 2008-06-21 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!

I tried every single example configuration for gmail/pop I could find
on the net. Nothing worked.
This is really frustrating. A few weeks ago, Guillermo Antonio Amaral
Bastidas posted his Setup here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.help/49012/match=gnus+gmail+pop

> (eval-after-load "mail-source" '(require 'pop3))
> (setq mail-sources
>       '((pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
>              :port 995
>              :user "YOUR_USERNAME_HERE"
>              :connection ssl
>              :leave t
>              :password "YOUR_PASSWORD_HERE")))

The OP answered:
>That didn't work for me either! I get stringp error. I use the stable
>version of Emacs 22 that is included in Debian Testing distribution. May
>be it has some bugs in pop.el that were solved in cvs ?

He got no answer. I've got exactly the same situation here.
Debian Testing, GNU Emacs 22.2.1, Gnus v5.11

Any new Information on this one?

tia
-Memnon

P.S.: No, I do not want imap. ;)

* Re: Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved?
@ 2008-06-22 15:53 ` Robert Epprecht
       [not found] ` <mailman.13739.1214227809.18990.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Robert Epprecht @ 2008-06-22 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> I tried every single example configuration for gmail/pop I could find
> on the net. Nothing worked.

> P.S.: No, I do not want imap. ;)

Well it is not imap, but another solution you might not want:
You can always use fetchmail to fetch your mail from google, and then
read it with gnus. Of course you have to activate pop through googles
web interface first.

I use the following .fetchmailrc
(set your values for USERNAME XYZ LOCAL-LOGIN-NAME)

poll pop.googlemail.com with protocol pop3 port 995
user USERNAME pass XYZ is LOCAL-LOGIN-NAME here
options ssl keep

Robert Epprecht

@ 2008-06-23 21:01   ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2008-06-23 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hi!
On 22 Jun., 17:53, Robert Epprecht <eppre...@solnet.ch> wrote:
> Well it is not imap, but another solution you might not want:
> You can always use fetchmail to fetch your mail from google, and then
> read it with gnus. Of course you have to activate pop through googles
> web interface first.
>
> I use the following .fetchmailrc

Okay, I was just basically interested whether this problem was solved
or not.
I switched to fetchmail. It works! ;)
I use this setup (found on the web):

(setq mail-sources
 `((file :path "/var/spool/mail/username")
   (pop :server "justoneofmy.mailservers.org"
	:user "username"
	:password "password"
	:program "fetchmail -v --all");; -m '/usr/bin/formail -b>>/var/spool/
mail/username'")
	))

I need no chronjob or fetchmails daemon, but can fetch all my accounts
(in my .fetchmailrc, gmail is just one of it)
as usuall pressing g. The data provided (:user :password :server) are
set, but not used at all.

So, basic problem not solved, but workaround works. Great!
Thanks for your suggestion!

(Damn google-groups won't let me change headline to [solved])

@ 2008-06-24 13:03   ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2008-06-24 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Robert Epprecht <epprecht@solnet.ch> writes:

> Well it is not imap, but another solution you might not want:
> You can always use fetchmail to fetch your mail from google, and then
> read it with gnus. Of course you have to activate pop through googles
> web interface first.

Unfortunately fetchmail is not ported to Windows. (I've also tried
several times gmail/pop with gnus but with no success.)

--
Radek

* Re: Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved?
@ 2008-06-25 12:23     ` Chris McMahan
From: Chris McMahan @ 2008-06-25 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

If you're willing to go this route, the Cygwin tools do include a full
version of fetchmail. I've been using it to fetch pop mail from my ISP
for several years.

http://cygwin.com/

In fact, if you're interested in getting gMail through the fetchmail
program, this site might also be of interest.

http://lifehacker.com/software/gmail/geek-to-live--back-up-gmail-with-fetchmail-235207.php

- Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo=====================================

* Re: Old Problem: Pop3/ssl/gmail solved?
@ 2008-06-25 14:47       ` rahed
From: rahed @ 2008-06-25 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Chris McMahan <first_initiallastname@one.dot.net> writes:

> If you're willing to go this route, the Cygwin tools do include a full
> version of fetchmail. I've been using it to fetch pop mail from my ISP
> for several years.
>
> http://cygwin.com/
>
> In fact, if you're interested in getting gMail through the fetchmail
> program, this site might also be of interest.

I am content with MinGW and want to avoid cygwin but just a couple of
days ago I tried w3m with cygwin because this is the only alternative on
windows. w3m installation wasn't success at the first attempt and this
added up to avoiding the cygwin route.

I hope someone will eventually break running gnus with gmail pop (I
do not know lisp).

--
Radek