* Can emacs-w3m open links in browser
@ 2004-09-16 16:01 David Hanak
       [not found] ` <yotlekl17x2r.fsf@jpl.org>
From: David Hanak @ 2004-09-16 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

(This is a repost of a message I tried to send to gnus.ding, but it
didn't get there.)

I'm using emacs-w3m to display HTML messages in Gnus.  I'm more or less
satisfied with it, but there is one thing I would like it to do
differently and I can't figure out how.

Whenever I press enter on a link, it opens the target page in the same
Emacs window, thus hiding the message and taking me to a HTML page I
would rather view in my browser.  Is there a way to tell emacs-w3m to
open all links in a browser instead of displaying them itself?
Basically, I want the same behavior I get with Emacs buttons created in
plain text messages.

Oh, one more question: can I tell emacs-w3m inline images, at least
those included in the mail itself?  I'm thinking of these CID: images
created by Outlook (yuck).  Since these images aren't real attachments,
I can't get Gnus do display them, so I have to open these messages in an
external (HTML-capable) mail reader.

Thanks,

--
David Hanak - Research Engineer
Institute for Software Integrated Systems  |  http://www.isis.vanderbilt.edu

* Re: Can emacs-w3m open links in browser
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3207.1095547865.1998.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2004-09-20 16:45       ` David Hanak
From: David Hanak @ 2004-09-20 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Xavier Maillard wrote:

> Huh ?? I think you misunderstood the role of emacs-w3m :/
> emacs-w3m *is* a browser and use w3m.

Yes, I'm aware of that.  The point is: I need something to display my
HTML only emails in Gnus.  I found that w3m is the best compromise for
this, because it's faster than links or lynx, and (a lot) more reliable
than w3.

However, I *don't* want to use it as a web browser, so I would like it
to forward all the links found in the HTML formatted e-mail message to
an external browser.  My browse-url-browser-function variable is set up
correctly, and it works *unless* the message buffer is rendered using
w3m.

Does that make sense?