* Re: info-gnus-english Digest, Vol 49, Issue 12
       [not found] ` <mailman.542.1178943769.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
@ 2007-05-12 14:01   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-05-12 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

nospam@dev.null (Alexey Pustyntsev) writes:

> info-gnus-english-request@gnu.org writes:
>
>> MTAs) you'll probably have a better time of it. That MTA also receives
>> the mail for you if you have local delivery. AFAIK gnus cannot deliver
>> mail to you, but needs a backend (calling fetchmail, for instance).
>
> Hi all!
>
> I must tell you guys from my unpleasant experience that fetchmail
> sucks. It has many bugs, security holes and needlessly complex
> configuration file. I used fetchmail + gnus for more than half a
> year. Everything seemed to be OK in the beginning, then, strange
> things started happening like reinjecting over a hundred old messages,
> each of which was scrupulously marked by the gnus as 'duplicate'. When
> I figured out that it was fetchmail's fault I immediately switched to
> getmail (highly recommended), which I've been using successfully since
> that. Yes, just use getmail. It is free, simple, clean and very
> reliable as it was specifically designed to ensure that your mail is
> never lost or misdirected.

And fetchmail was designed to lose and misdirect your mail?

Does anyone else back up these claims?

I have been using fetchmail with procmail for over a year with no issues
whatsoever. Is it better to use "getmail"?

btw, how is fetchmail "insecure"?

@ 2007-05-13  9:44   ` Kamen TOMOV
From: Kamen TOMOV @ 2007-05-13  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On събота, Май 12 2007, Alexey Pustyntsev wrote:

> Everything seemed to be OK in the beginning, then, strange things
> started happening like reinjecting over a hundred old messages, each
> of which was scrupulously marked by the gnus as 'duplicate'.

This happened to me some time ago. AFIR it was when a network or
server proble occured while a long fetch operation. The solution was
adding the command: fetchlimit 100.

* Re: info-gnus-english Digest, Vol 49, Issue 12
       [not found] <20070511155842.3D0CB149CE@sycore.org>
@ 2007-05-12  4:18 ` Alexey Pustyntsev
       [not found] ` <mailman.542.1178943769.32220.info-gnus-english@gnu.org>
From: Alexey Pustyntsev @ 2007-05-12  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)