* What's wrong with my face?
@ 2004-05-14 20:00 Jesse F. Hughes
From: Jesse F. Hughes @ 2004-05-14 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey ho.

I finally discovered that my face header had been omitted for months.
I had forgotten to install netpbm after a distribution upgrade and I
never noticed the missing header.

Tonight I installed netpbm and now the header is being generated, but
I can't see the image in my own posts.  I'm not sure, but I think it's
too large, despite the fact that I use the usual method for including
it:

(add-to-list 'message-required-mail-headers
                  '(Face . (lambda ()
                                     (gnus-face-from-file
				      (expand-file-name
				       "~/pics/MickeyFace.jpg")))))

(add-to-list 'message-required-news-headers
                  '(Face . (lambda ()
                                     (gnus-face-from-file
				      (expand-file-name
				       "~/pics/MickeyFace.jpg")))))

The file is a bit complicated, I guess, and I see the following
messages when I send a post.

Length 802; trying quant 8
Length 892; trying quant 10
Length 951; trying quant 12
Length 1008; trying quant 14

It appears that quant 8 gets the size down sufficiently, but I just
don't know.  Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?  Thanks much.

--
"Well *supposedly* a correct and profound math paper can get published
in a 'reputable journal' which means that the journals I've faced so

* Re: What's wrong with my face?
@ 2004-05-14 22:56 ` Steinar Børmer
From: Steinar Børmer @ 2004-05-14 22:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) writes:

| Tonight I installed netpbm and now the header is being generated,
| but I can't see the image in my own posts.  I'm not sure, but I
| think it's too large, despite the fact that I use the usual method
| for including it:

I have never attempted to use a face myself, but yours (well, there's
_something_ there...) certainly is one of the smaller faces I've seen.
It is a solid black square with green edges.  So something appears to
be wrong, yes, but I don't know what.

=)

HTH!

--
SB

I am so smart, so smart - s-m-r-t!  I mean, s-m-A-r-t!
	         			- Homer Simpson

* Re: What's wrong with my face?
@ 2004-05-15 16:04 ` Windar
From: Windar @ 2004-05-15 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

jesse@phiwumbda.org (Jesse F. Hughes) disait le 05/14/04 :

> Hey ho.
>
> I finally discovered that my face header had been omitted for months.
> I had forgotten to install netpbm after a distribution upgrade and I
> never noticed the missing header.
>
> Tonight I installed netpbm and now the header is being generated, but
> I can't see the image in my own posts.  I'm not sure, but I think it's
> too large, despite the fact that I use the usual method for including
> it:
>
> (add-to-list 'message-required-mail-headers
>                   '(Face . (lambda ()
>                                      (gnus-face-from-file
> 				      (expand-file-name
> 				       "~/pics/MickeyFace.jpg")))))
>
> (add-to-list 'message-required-news-headers
>                   '(Face . (lambda ()
>                                      (gnus-face-from-file
> 				      (expand-file-name
> 				       "~/pics/MickeyFace.jpg")))))
>
> The file is a bit complicated, I guess, and I see the following
> messages when I send a post.
>
> Length 802; trying quant 8
> Length 892; trying quant 10
> Length 951; trying quant 12
> Length 1008; trying quant 14
>
> It appears that quant 8 gets the size down sufficiently, but I just
> don't know.  Can anyone help me diagnose the problem?  Thanks much.

I use gnus posting styles, for instance :

(setq gnus-posting-styles
      '(
	(".*"
         (name "Windar")
	 (X-URL "http://www.plop.net")
	 (X-Face `(x-face-insert "~/fcom-logo.xbm"))
	 )

        (message-this-is-news
         (address "spam@sux.com")
         (organization "GNUS powered")
         (signature-file "~/.usenet-sig")
	 (Face `(gnus-convert-png-to-face "~/face-robot.png"))
	 )

 [...]

        )
)

the png  file is a 48x48  8 colors image  whose size is less  than 726
bytes.

--
*****			      Jungle Power                         *****

We love Rohypnol, She got Rohypnol, We take Rohypnol, Just forget it all
   		      	  	       	    	      	       - Prodigy