* Re: Gnus, x-faces, and Windows (crashes emacs)
       [not found]   ` <uvfr3y0gm.fsf@gmx.de>
@ 2003-10-06 15:35     ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-10-06 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Martin> I have thew same problem which still persists regardless
    Martin> of this tip. Interestingly not all faces crash emacs.

    Martin> Since I don't need those faces, how can I get rid of them?

Thanks to Frank's code I got X-FACE working, but FACE still crashed.
Since I didn't have time to debug I have set:

(setq gnus-treat-display-face nil)

in my .gnus file.

You could also do

(setq gnus-treat-display-x-face nil)

if you are having problems with x-face as well.

I'm still having problems with images in general, for instance if I
do M-x auto-image-file-mode and from a dired buffer press return on a
gif my cvs version crashes.  If I select a jpg, I just get an empty
square.  I've been meaning to try and track down these problems, but
have not had a chance.

* Re: Gnus, x-faces, and Windows (crashes emacs)
       [not found]     ` <usmn3gzog.fsf@swbell.net>
@ 2003-09-11 15:42       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-09-11 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Sep 11 2003, Peter Lee wrote:

> If I enter this group: nntp+news.gmane.org:gmane.emacs.devel
>
> and then select Andreas Büsching's article below, I see loading
> gnus-fun... (and sometimes BBDB frobnicating...) and then Emacs
> crashes.  It happens everytime I select any of his articles.

Andreas Büsching's articles in emacs-devel contain a "Face:"
header[1], not an "X-Face:" header.

A workaround might be to disable displaying Faces:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Customizing Articles") ]
| `gnus-treat-display-face (head)'
|      *Note Face::.
`----

But it would make much more sense to debug the Emacs crash.  See
etc/DEBUG, (info "(emacs)Bugs") and `M-x report-emacs-bug RET'.

Bye, Reiner.

[1] (info "(gnus)Face")
--
       ,,,