* Problem with Re-indexing News
@ 2003-01-23 13:30 Michael Below
       [not found] ` <87bs267sqk.fsf@antithese.de>
From: Michael Below @ 2003-01-23 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I didn't manage to expire the articles in a rather busy newsgroup, so
I decided to re-build the message database with
gnus-agent-regenerate. This command kept running for over an hour,
with messages flashing through the minibuffer like "Regenerating
NOV... Sorting... Messages not in ascending order" driving up the
system load to high values. Now I have stopped
this (C-g), to me this looks like something is wrong.

Is this maybe related to the problems with messages numbered -1 I
mentioned in here before?

Michael
--
_Agricultural activity_ is the management by an enterprise of the
biological transformation of biological assets for sale, into

* Re: Problem with Re-indexing News
@ 2003-01-23 16:10 ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found] ` <87bs267sqk.fsf@antithese.de>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-01-23 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Below <mbelow@antithese.de> writes:

> I didn't manage to expire the articles in a rather busy newsgroup, so
> I decided to re-build the message database with
> gnus-agent-regenerate. This command kept running for over an hour,

Give it more time.  Maybe overnight?  Or over the weekend?

What's the size of your agent directory?  (du -hs ~/News/agent)

--
Ambibibentists unite!

* Re: Problem with Re-indexing News
       [not found]   ` <87r8b0ucky.fsf@antithese.de>
@ 2003-01-26 20:19     ` Michael Below
       [not found]       ` <84adhnjc8v.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
From: Michael Below @ 2003-01-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Kai wrote in <84d6mk7yio.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>

> After C-g, you can look in the *Messages* buffer for those messages.
> Share them with us.

Okay... This is the *Messages* buffer after about one hour work on
comp.emacs. After maybe 5 minutes of work, the same buffer looked very
similar (except for that .url/history thing at the end).

Looks like the regeneration is running in a circle.

Michael

 -*-snip-*-

Finding sort keys...
Sorting records...
Reordering buffer... Done
gnus-agent-regenerate-group: NOV entries are NOT in ascending order.
gnus-agent-regenerate-group: Sorting NOV entries into ascending order.
[...]
Entering debugger...
 [2 times]
Wrote /home/mbelow/.url/history
call-interactively: Beginning of buffer

       [not found]           ` <84n0ll69d5.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de>
@ 2003-01-30 21:23             ` Kevin Greiner
From: Kevin Greiner @ 2003-01-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Michael Below <mbelow@antithese.de> writes:
>
>> Yup. I *know* that Emacs is everything but efficient, but more than 1
>> hour for 2 MByte?
>
> Yeah.  When people say that something isn't working because it takes
> so long, my knee-jerk reaction is to tell them to give it more time.
> Quite a number of people have an expectation that's wrong by an order
> of magnitude...

Just to let everyone know, Michael and I took this one offline to
resolve it.  His .overview files contained several entries whose
article numbers contained over 30 digits.  I've now modified
gnus-agent-regenerate-group to detect and delete such entries.

Kevin