* Automatically selecting cited text
@ 2008-04-23  1:47 Brett Randall
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Brett Randall @ 2008-04-23  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hey all

A few years ago when I *USED* to use Gnus (moving back now), I
remember that if I followed up an e-mail, the cited text would be
automatically selected from the bottom of the e-mail up to underneath
the attribution. I could arrow down to the end of where I wanted to
quote, hit C-w and delete the rest. This made it great for getting rid
of signatures, disclaimers, etc. I can't remember if that was a
feature of SuperCite, TrivialCite, Gnus itself... Does anyone know how
I "turn this on"?

TIA

Brett.

* Re: Automatically selecting cited text
@ 2008-04-23 10:49 ` Giorgos Keramidas
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-04-23 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:47:10 +1000, Brett Randall <brett@hillsong.com> wrote:
> Hey all
> A few years ago when I *USED* to use Gnus (moving back now), I
> remember that if I followed up an e-mail, the cited text would be
> automatically selected from the bottom of the e-mail up to underneath
> the attribution. I could arrow down to the end of where I wanted to
> quote, hit C-w and delete the rest. This made it great for getting rid
> of signatures, disclaimers, etc. I can't remember if that was a
> feature of SuperCite, TrivialCite, Gnus itself... Does anyone know how
> I "turn this on"?

It may be easier to pre-select the text you want to reply to.  If a
region is active when you type 'F' or 'R' to follow-up or reply to an
article, Gnus cites only the selected text.

HTH,
Giorgos

* Re: Automatically selecting cited text
@ 2008-04-23 13:02 ` Drew Raines
From: Drew Raines @ 2008-04-23 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Brett Randall wrote:

> I could arrow down to the end of where I wanted to quote, hit C-w
> and delete the rest. This made it great for getting rid of
> signatures, disclaimers, etc. I can't remember if that was a
> feature of SuperCite, TrivialCite, Gnus itself... Does anyone know
> how I "turn this on"?

I don't about that specific feature, but I find C-c C-z helpful for
achieving the same result.

,----[ C-h f message-kill-to-signature RET ]
| message-kill-to-signature is an interactive compiled Lisp function
| in `message.el'.
| It is bound to C-c C-z, <menu-bar> <Message> <Kill To Signature>.
| (message-kill-to-signature)
|
| Deletes all text up to the signature.
|
| [back]
`----

Another option is to hit a few C-u's and then C-k.

-Drew

* Re: Automatically selecting cited text
@ 2008-04-23 13:07 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2008-04-23 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 11:47:10 +1000 Brett Randall <brett@hillsong.com> wrote:

BR> A few years ago when I *USED* to use Gnus (moving back now), I
BR> remember that if I followed up an e-mail, the cited text would be
BR> automatically selected from the bottom of the e-mail up to underneath
BR> the attribution. I could arrow down to the end of where I wanted to
BR> quote, hit C-w and delete the rest. This made it great for getting rid
BR> of signatures, disclaimers, etc. I can't remember if that was a
BR> feature of SuperCite, TrivialCite, Gnus itself... Does anyone know how
BR> I "turn this on"?

Hm, I think you're saying the mark was set at the beginning of the
message body.  I don't think this is on by default nowadays or if it
ever was (I have used both SC and TC in addition to the default Gnus
citations), and I couldn't find a setting that does it, but it should be
easy to write a function and add it to the appropriate hook that does:

1) (message-goto-body)
2) set mark

Ted

* Re: Automatically selecting cited text
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-04-24 19:52 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-04-24 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Apr 23 2008, Brett Randall wrote:

> A few years ago when I *USED* to use Gnus (moving back now), I
> remember that if I followed up an e-mail, the cited text would be
> automatically selected from the bottom of the e-mail up to underneath
> the attribution. I could arrow down to the end of where I wanted to
> quote, hit C-w and delete the rest.

It still works for me, with transient-mark-mode disabled.  With
enabled transient-mark-mode, I need to do `C-x C-x' before
(exchange-point-and-mark).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,