* Re: incremental search and Umlauts
       [not found] <871wik0xq8.fsf@debian.IGP>
@ 2007-04-18  0:00 ` Bill Harris
       [not found]   ` <87bqhkz4bb.fsf@debian.IGP>
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-04-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

@ 2007-04-20  9:29 ` Michael Piotrowski
From: Michael Piotrowski @ 2007-04-20  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On 2007-04-17, "Andreas Goesele" <goesele@hfph.mwn.de> wrote:

> When I do an incremental search in xemacs' gnus' summary window and
> use umlauts I get an error message (e.g. adiaeresis not defined) and
> the search doesn't.
>
> Some time ago I found/got a tip for simple key combination which would
> enable the use of umlauts during incremental search.

I don't know about a keyboard command, but I just played around a bit,
and the following code seems to work:

(mapc (lambda (key)
	(define-key isearch-mode-map key 'isearch-printing-char))
      '([(adiaeresis)] [(odiaeresis)] [(udiaeresis)] [(ssharp)]
	[(Adiaeresis)] [(Odiaeresis)] [(Udiaeresis)] [(section)]))

The problem seems to be that non-ASCII characters are not classified as
"printing" when using isearch in Gnus (even though it works in other
modes).  Note that you may still not find all occurrences of a certain
character in the summary buffer; this is likely caused by encoding
differences (Latin 1 vs. Latin 9, etc.).

HTH

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <mxp@dynalabs.de>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>

@ 2007-04-21  0:21     ` Bill Harris
From: Bill Harris @ 2007-04-21  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* XEmacs: Incremental search for non-ASCII chars in the summary buffer (was: incremental search and Umlauts)
@ 2007-04-21  9:31   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-04-21  9:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Fri, Apr 20 2007, Michael Piotrowski wrote:

> The problem seems to be that non-ASCII characters are not classified as
> "printing" when using isearch in Gnus (even though it works in other
> modes).

Could you try to identify which code in Gnus is responsible for this
or what needs to be added to Gnus to make it work like in other XEmacs
modes?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,