* Re: Desparate with configuring maildir backend in gnus
       [not found] <8fa6cd50.0403211559.3dcb46a7@posting.google.com>
@ 2004-03-22  6:39 ` Glyn Millington
       [not found]   ` <s99fzc1l6ca.fsf@gazeta.pl>
From: Glyn Millington @ 2004-03-22  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

wazow@gazeta.pl (Wazow) writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have now spent hours (sic!) on trying to configure my gnus to read
> mail.  I have my mail delivered to ~/.maildir/ using postfix:
>
> wazow@klimt wazow $ ls -l ~/.maildir/
> total 2
> drwx------    2 wazow wazow      384 mar 21 22:44 cur
> drwx------    2 wazow wazow      624 mar 22 00:44 new
> drwx------    2 wazow wazow       48 mar 22 00:44 tmp

> I would like gnus to see this directories as newsgroups. So I add:
>
> ;; list-mail
> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>       '((nnmaildir "MyMail" (directory "~/.nnmaildir/"))))

Hi Wazow,

I think the above is  not quite enough to tell Gnus where to look for
mail.

The Gnus FAQ http://my.gnus.org/faq/html-nochunks/#id2433287 documents
this pretty well

You need something like

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods '(nnmaildir ""))
(eval-after-load "mail-source"
  '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "/home/wazow/.maildir/"
                                  :subdirs ("cur" "new" "tmp" "whatever")))

hth

Glyn

* Re: Desparate with configuring maildir backend in gnus
       [not found]     ` <877jxdfg7h.fsf@nowhere.org>
@ 2004-03-22 10:10       ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2004-03-22 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 22 2004, Glyn Millington wrote:

> Wazow <wazow@gazeta.pl> writes:
[...]
[ '(add-to-list 'mail-sources '(maildir :path "/home/wazow/.maildir/")) ]
>> According to docs (and many entries on usnet) this will move all my
>> incoming mail from .maildir to whatever the default location for
>> nmmaildir is.
>
> That's right!  Gnus is jealous - it really HATES it when other programs
> try to muscle in on its love-affair with your mail ;-) I'm told that
> jealousy can make Gnus really bad-tempered! So it snatches the mail away,
> where other lesser MUA's cannot find it.

This is true for nnml or nnfolder, but not for nnmaildir.  After all,
to allow concurrent access from different MUAs is one of the most
important features of Maildir.

>> I seemed to understand that since gnus can use maildir as its back end,
>> then it can work with any maildir compatible mailbox. This way I would
>> be able to read my mail also with other compliant clients if I need. Am
>> I completely mistaken?

No.  Did you follow the instructions in the manual:
(info "(gnus)Maildir")?

In your first post, you wrote:

| I have now spent hours (sic!) on trying to configure my gnus to read
| mail.  I have my mail delivered to ~/.maildir/ using postfix:
|
| wazow@klimt wazow $ ls -l ~/.maildir/
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^

| total 2
| drwx------    2 wazow wazow      384 mar 21 22:44 cur
| drwx------    2 wazow wazow      624 mar 22 00:44 new
| drwx------    2 wazow wazow       48 mar 22 00:44 tmp
|
| I would like gnus to see this directories as newsgroups. So I add:
|
| ;; list-mail
| (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
|       '((nnmaildir "MyMail" (directory "~/.nnmaildir/"))))

Shouldn't this be "~/.maildir"?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,