* how to get confirmation that mail was sent correctly
@ 2007-07-24 19:43 Guenter Wolpert
From: Guenter Wolpert @ 2007-07-24 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Hello,

I'm using GNUS 5.9.0 for reading news and (mainly) for my e-mail.
The mail system uses a POP server that used to be a dial-up
conenction, no its a DSL router.
What I'm currently missing is a feature to
a) cause an acknowledgement when the mail was read by the recipient
b) trace the mail as it is transferred from server to server.
Both features are available in usual mail programs and I guess,
GNUS can do also.

One more thing: Receiving a lot of spam, including completely empty
mails, I wonder, whether GNUS responds to the above mentioned (a)
acknowledge feature and how I can control this.

I must admit that my printed version of the GNUS FAQ is very old
and may be out of date.
And probably, it's not GNUS, but I didn't find out which is the right
manual to read.

Thanks for any help
Guenter

* Re: how to get confirmation that mail was sent correctly
@ 2007-07-25 13:19 ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2007-07-25 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Guenter Wolpert <guenter.wolpert@t-online.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using GNUS 5.9.0 for reading news and (mainly) for my e-mail.
> The mail system uses a POP server that used to be a dial-up
> conenction, no its a DSL router.
> What I'm currently missing is a feature to
> a) cause an acknowledgement when the mail was read by the recipient

Is this what you're looking for?  In a mail buffer, in the header
lines if you....
C-c M-n runs the command message-insert-disposition-notification-to
  which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `message.el'.
It is bound to C-c M-n, <menu-bar> <Field> <Request Receipt>.
(message-insert-disposition-notification-to)

Request a disposition notification (return receipt) to this message.
Note that this should not be used in newsgroups.

> b) trace the mail as it is transferred from server to server.
> Both features are available in usual mail programs and I guess,
> GNUS can do also.

Please, can you explain this a little more?  I was under the
impression the mail one *receives* has the path traversal in the
headers.

> One more thing: Receiving a lot of spam, including completely empty
> mails, I wonder, whether GNUS responds to the above mentioned (a)
> acknowledge feature and how I can control this.

No idea here.

[...]

 sivaram

* Re: how to get confirmation that mail was sent correctly
@ 2007-07-25 14:59 ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-07-25 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

* Re: how to get confirmation that mail was sent correctly
@ 2007-07-25 19:10   ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-07-25 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Wed, Jul 25 2007, Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo wrote:

> Guenter Wolpert <guenter.wolpert@t-online.de> writes:
>> I'm using GNUS 5.9.0 for reading news and (mainly) for my e-mail.

Please upgrade.  I'd suggest to upgrade to Emacs 22.1 which includes
Gnus 5.11.  If that's not possible, please upgrade to Gnus 5.10.8.

>> One more thing: Receiving a lot of spam, including completely empty
>> mails, I wonder, whether GNUS responds to the above mentioned (a)
>> acknowledge feature and how I can control this.
[...]
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/gnus/Spam-Package.html#Spam-Package

Not available in Gnus 5.9.  See "Improved anti-spam features." in
(info "(gnus)Oort Gnus").

On Wed, Jul 25 2007, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:
> C-c M-n runs the command message-insert-disposition-notification-to

Same here: (info "(gnus)Oort Gnus").

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,