* killing, but good
@ 2007-03-24 17:15 Allan Adler
From: Allan Adler @ 2007-03-24 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

The version of gnus on the Linux system I use is 5.7.

Suppose that I don't want to read the USENET postings of a certain person,
say, Peter Daniels, just for definiteness, although there are others. I
looked at the info for gnus and I think I can figure out how to kill postings
that are actually by Peter Daniels. However, that isn't good enough, because
other people who reply to him often quote his offensive remarks and I wind up
reading them anyway. So, I need some way of telling gnus to kill all articles
that contain the consecutive words "Peter" and "Daniels" anywhere in the
article, not just in the "From" field. Admittedly, that might not be
perfect since some people quote without attribution, but it should be
good enough for my purposes.

How does one do it?
--
Ignorantly,
Allan Adler <ara@zurich.csail.mit.edu>

* Re: killing, but good
@ 2007-03-24 18:26 ` Bob Fry
From: Bob Fry @ 2007-03-24 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

I asked a very similar question recently.

gnus-summary-lower-score f(ollowup) &etc.

For me this often works to Lfst<ret>

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Score Commands") ]
|     `f'
|           Score on followups--this matches the author name, and adds
|           scores to the followups to this author.  (Using this key
|           leads to the creation of `ADAPT' files.)
`----

BTW, I've found it helpful to use a single .SCORE and a single .ADAPT
file for all news.  In your init.el file:

(setq
 gnus-home-score-file "global.SCORE"
 gnus-home-adapt-file "global.ADAPT"
)

--
"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

* Re: killing, but good
@ 2007-03-24 18:32 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2007-03-24 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

On Sat, Mar 24 2007, Allan Adler wrote:

> The version of gnus on the Linux system I use is 5.7.

Very, very old.  You should better upgrade to Gnus 5.10.8 or better
upgrade Emacs to version 21.4 (several years old stable) or 22 (in
pretest).

> Suppose that I don't want to read the USENET postings of a certain person,
> say, Peter Daniels, just for definiteness, although there are others. I
> looked at the info for gnus and I think I can figure out how to kill postings
> that are actually by Peter Daniels. However, that isn't good enough, because
> other people who reply to him often quote his offensive remarks and I wind up
> reading them [...]
> How does one do it?

[ Disclaimer: I don't know if the works with Gnus 5.7 ]

Scoring on followup.  Go on an article of the person and press `L F'
or `L f s p'.  See the manual for more details:

,----[ (info "(gnus)Summary Score Commands") ]
|    The keystrokes for actually making score entries follow a very
| regular pattern, so there's no need to list all the commands.
| (Hundreds of them.)
|
|   1. The first key is either `I' (upper case i) for increasing the score
|      or `L' for lowering the score.
|
|   2. The second key says what header you want to score on.  The
|      following keys are available:
| [...]
|     `f'
|           Score on followups--this matches the author name, and adds
|           scores to the followups to this author.  (Using this key
|           leads to the creation of `ADAPT' files.)
| [...]
|    To make things a bit more complicated, there are shortcuts.  If you
| use a capital letter on either the second or third keys, Gnus will use
| defaults for the remaining one or two keystrokes.  The defaults are
| "substring" and "temporary".  So `I A' is the same as `I a s t', and `I
| a R' is the same as `I a r t'.
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: killing, but good
@ 2007-03-29  6:04   ` Allan Adler
From: Allan Adler @ 2007-03-29  6:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

Bob Fry <bobfry@mailinator.com> writes:
>For me this often works to Lfst<ret>

Thanks. I went to one offending poster and did  this. It had the effect
of marking with a Y all of the followups to postings by this particular
author but did nothing to the article itself. Also, I'm not sure whether
this has to be done every time one needs the newsgroup.

>BTW, I've found it helpful to use a single .SCORE and a single .ADAPT
>file for all news.  In your init.el file:
>(setq
> gnus-home-score-file "global.SCORE"
> gnus-home-adapt-file "global.ADAPT"
>)

I don't have a file named init.el. I do have a file named .emacs. Should
I use that one?
--

@ 2007-03-29 14:02     ` Bob Fry
From: Bob Fry @ 2007-03-29 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: info-gnus-english

    AA> Bob Fry <bobfry@mailinator.com> writes:
    >> For me this often works to Lfst<ret>

    AA> Thanks. I went to one offending poster and did this. It had
    AA> the effect of marking with a Y all of the followups to
    AA> postings by this particular author but did nothing to the
    AA> article itself. Also, I'm not sure whether this has to be done
    AA> every time one needs the newsgroup.

You only have to do it once.  I'm not familiar with the "Y" marking,
perhaps it's a function of a different type of Emacs (I use XEmacs).

    AA> I don't have a file named init.el. I do have a file named
    AA> .emacs. Should I use that one?

Hmm, you're using GNU Emacs, instead of XEmacs?  It's been a long time
since I used GNU Emacs, but I think your .emacs file is the one to
use. Is there other initialization-looking stuff in there?
--
How do you feel about women's rights ? I like either side of them.
  Groucho Marx