* Re: Snipping sig.s from follow-ups?
       [not found] ` <pb.m2znq1o160.fsf@ID-42241.news.dfncis.de>
@ 2003-01-16 10:52   ` Max Quordlepleen
From: Max Quordlepleen @ 2003-01-16 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.net> writes:

> * Max Quordlepleen <maxq@ded.com> writes:
>
> > I tried googling this, but have thus far drawn a blank. I copied and
> > pasted the following:
> >
> > (setq gnus-signature-separator
> >       '("^-- $"         ; The standard
> >         "^-- *$"))      ; A common mangling
>
> ;;* This one takes care of fucked-up signatures
> ;;* much enhanced version from the example in the docs by Torsten
> ;;*  Hilbrich <Torsten.Hilbrich@gmx.net>
>
> 	(setq gnus-signature-separator
> 	      "^\\(--\\|--  \\|---\\|-- *\\|________\\========*\\)$")
>
> > into my .gnus, thinking that it might cause sig.s matching either of
> > the two options to be snipped automagically when replying, bearing in
> > mind the warning about false positives.
> >  Sadly, it has not. What am I not doing that I ought to be, in order
> > to have sig.s snipped? I have re-checked the manual, but clearly
> > neither of my neurons is up to this one.
>
> 	(setq message-cite-function 'message-cite-original-without-signature)
>

> Regards/Gruesse
> Hans-Peter Binder

It works! Many thanks to you both.

--
Whakawhetai, noho ora mai

* Re: Snipping sig.s from follow-ups?
@ 2003-01-16 12:50     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2003-01-16 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Jan 16 2003, Max Quordlepleen wrote:

> Hans-Peter Binder <tethys.pb@gmx.net> writes:
>
>> * Max Quordlepleen <maxq@ded.com> writes:
[...]
>> > (setq gnus-signature-separator
[...]
>> 	(setq message-cite-function
>> 	'message-cite-original-without-signature)
[...]
> It works! Many thanks to you both.

`message-cite-function' is important here.  `gnus-signature-separator'
is not relevant for snipping signatures on reply,
`message-signature-separator' is relevant for this.

,----[ C-h v message-signature-separator RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h v gnus-signature-separator RET ]
| gnus-signature-separator's value is ("^-- $" "^-- *$")
|
| Documentation:
| Regexp matching signature separator.
| This can also be a list of regexps.  In that case, it will be checked
| from head to tail looking for a separator.  Searches will be done from
| the end of the buffer.
`----

`gnus-signature-separator' is used for displaying articles (see
e.g. the variables `gnus-treat-hide-signature',
`gnus-treat-highlight-signature'), whereas
`message-signature-separator' is used in message mode
(e.g. `message-goto-signature', `message-kill-to-signature', ...).

Maybe we should clarify this in the doc-strings of the two variables?

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)